Please evaluate my writing task 2 and give valuable comments.

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
prinks056

Please evaluate my writing task 2 and give valuable comments.

Post by prinks056 »

Universities should accept equal numbers of males and females in every subject. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Gender inequality has always been a debatable issue. Men and women have equal rights to speech, education and right to vote. However, I disagree with the idea of universities accepting equal number of males and females in every subject. This will be proven by analyzing that admitting equal number of males and females is simply unrealistic.

Men and women are psychologically different species and, females are more sensitive and caring as compared to men who are physically strong. These qualities make both men and women suitable for different tasks. For instance, a female may find it hard to work at a construction site because it requires a lot of physical strength. Similarly, it will be difficult for a man to become a successful gynaecologist. It is believed that women are more comfortable with female gynaecologists in discussing their problems. Thus, it is evident from these examples that universities should select the applicants regardless of their gender.

These days, universities select students on the basis of merit, which ensures equal opportunities for both men and women. It is unfair to choose a candidate based on the gender as both men and women have similar potential. Universities should continue to enroll the deserving candidates based on their abilities, which will motivate both men and male to work hard. Thus,universities should admit candidates irrespective of their gender.

After analyzing the above arguments, it is clear that admitting equal number of males and females in every subject will not prove beneficial. It is recommended that universities should select candidates on merit basis. This will help in ensuring equal educational opportunities for both males and females.
Teacher

Re: Please evaluate my writing task 2 and give valuable comments.

Post by Teacher »

Hi Prinks

Well done. (6.5) I think your essay would benefit from more examples, but you have good vocabulary and a range of grammatical structures. Those articles are still proving tricky – this time you need to delete them! You need a greater proportion of error-free sentences to get higher marks on Grammatical Range and Accuracy.

Kind regards
Teacher Jill
prinks056

Post by prinks056 »

Thanks a lot.I would appreciate if you suggest me an example?
Teacher

Post by Teacher »

Dear Prinks

I'm thinking of the marking criteria for TA.
For
6 presents relevant main ideas but some may be inadequately developed,
7 presents, extends and supports main ideas, but there may be a tendency to over-generalise
8 presents a well-developed response to the question with relevant, extended and supported ideas

One of your ideas is that men and women are different physically, so that women mayn't be strong enough to go on a construction site (although I can’t think of a university course where jobs on graduation would require that full time - even architects and engineers), but you need to avoid the tendency to ‘over-generalise’ (or stereotype). Another idea is that men and women are psychologically different, but it isn’t fully developed. You make a generalisation that women are more caring, but this could be supported with examples. For instance, in Europe the overwhelming majority of primary school teachers, who look after small children, are women. In Australia 67% of care-workers are female. You mention that most women would prefer a female gynaecologist, but this is less about the person practising than about the patient, so it could be extended into cultural expectations of gender roles. For example, there is no point in universities enrolling equal numbers of male and female midwives if the society in which they have to find work will not accept male nurses – they would never find a job, and one of the purposes of a university is to prepare students for work so they can benefit society. There is also a freedom of choice issue: shouldn’t students be free to choose their own courses? If universities had to offer equal places to men and women, some students would be forced into courses they didn’t want or give up the idea of university at all because they happened to be the ‘wrong’ gender for the course they actually wanted. Lastly, you look at the idea of merit, which again, could be extended. For faculties to have equal numbers, they may have to drop entry requirements to attract students of the required gender which may lead to a dumbing-down of courses which benefits no-one, or the inequality of one sex having different entry requirements to another. For example, at Sultan Qaboos University, in order to get more male students into courses, they require lower exit grades from high school than girls.

Does that help explain?

Teacher Jill
prinks056

Post by prinks056 »

yes.very helpful.thanks a lot Teacher Jill