A book for IELTS recommended

Share a copyright friendly link, video or MP3.
azaaza

A book for IELTS recommended

Post by azaaza »

Recently, I have done some exercises in Sam Mc Carter's "A book for IELTS". Only regarding to reading, I do love the ways of presenting instructions in this book. Maybe it's not suitable for IELTS candidates who are going to sit in the exam soon, but it will be so great for those who are really keen on improving their reading skills. Unlike other books, it focuses on how to understand both the organisation of a paragraph and meaning of that.

Another book I am doing now is Thomson Exam Essentials. I feel tough to complete tests in this book and thus very worried about the difficulty of the real IELTS exam. I got just an average of 5, but my target score is 8 or higher :cry:
Ryan

Re: A book for IELTS recommended

Post by Ryan »

azaaza wrote:Recently, I have done some exercises in Sam Mc Carter's "A book for IELTS". Only regarding to reading, I do love the ways of presenting instructions in this book. Maybe it's not suitable for IELTS candidates who are going to sit in the exam soon, but it will be so great for those who are really keen on improving their reading skills. Unlike other books, it focuses on how to understand both the organisation of a paragraph and meaning of that.

Another book I am doing now is Thomson Exam Essentials. I feel tough to complete tests in this book and thus very worried about the difficulty of the real IELTS exam. I got just an average of 5, but my target score is 8 or higher :cry:
Thank you for sharing your study materials. I haven't heard of either and will pick them up if I see them.

If you are finding that you score lower in the practise tests than the real exam, it is likely the author has written the book with the intention of pushing the students that study from it. Ray De Witt's How to Prepare for IELTS appears to follow this same strategy. I enjoy using these sorts of books in my classroom lessons, as the added stress encourages students to hone their skills that much more.
Anna

Post by Anna »

For myself, I am preparing for academic module, I found a few recently issued books. These books are well-structured, they contain all four IELTS components with tips and keys.

1.Collins: English for exam by Anneli Williams (2012)
*Vocabulary for IELTS
*Listening for IELTS
*Reading for IELTS
*Writing for IELTS
*Speaking for IELTS

2.IELTS Trainer: Six practice tests with answers
by Louise Hashemi and Barbara Thomas (7th edition, 2013)

3.Complete IELTS Band 6.5-7.5 Student's book
by Guy Brook-Hart and Vanessa Jakeman (2013)
suo

Post by suo »

Personly , I found a very useful ielts book called Target 7 it have alot of advice.
Anna

Post by Anna »

suo wrote:Personly , I found a very useful ielts book called Target 7 it have alot of advice.
Suo, I agree that 'Target 7' well-covers the tricks that you have to be aware of in reading and listening components. But this book has certain weaknesses, particularly in writing section. There is the only example of task 2, which is obviously not enough to understand how to write essay for score 7 in academic module. The list of transitions for greater cohesion (e.g. moreover, in addition, etc.) is a very basic and poor.

Regarding task 1. Although the book contains reasonably good examples of task 1 writing, namely graph, pie-chart, bar-chart and table descriptions, it doesn't give any idea how to have a deal with a diagram, a map and a process. According to my latest experience, IELTS takers continuously have faced with a map, a diagram, a process in task 1 in English-speaking countries over the four-month period. So, it is fairly important to know how to describe them as they have often been given.

Please do not think that I am criticising the book, just wanted to point on some limitations in it.
hannaliu

Post by hannaliu »

:D :D ,,finally . I get the link
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

hannaliu wrote::D :D ,,finally . I get the link
Oh no! You should have emailed me, Hannalie. Oh well, at least you're here now. ;)

(For anyone reading this that's having problems creating an account, email ryanthiggins@ G Mail.com.)
luckydiamond

Post by luckydiamond »

Target Band 7 is good book but the information is very general.
manojwilson

Post by manojwilson »

Focus on IELTS by Sue O'Connell is one book that is really helpful. I found it really helpful as it is entirely made for the Academic Module. Some of the essays in this book are the one that really appeared in the exam, some of them in General Training. I was amazed because I never searched for latest IELTS questions on the web but shared essay questions from this book with my students. Then one day one of my students came up with joy that the question that we discussed in class was exactly the same in exam.

The exercises in the book are really helpful and cover new topics in IELTS which are not mentioned anywhere like Object Description for example. I only found Object Description question in Cambridge Objective IELTS for Advanced Students.
petryworn

Post by petryworn »

Have anyone of you heard about the IELTS book from Kaplan? Any thoughts?

http://ieltsmaster.booklikes.com/post/9 ... ook-review
raymond

Post by raymond »

i have not read this book yet ,but from your description i realized that the book will be so helpful .thanks dude for the topic "A book for IELTS recommended" and i am looking for this kind of book . if i read this ,are you sure i am able to do so and from where will i get the book? tell me please 8-) . actually i love to read English book related to IELTS and i also get pleasure to read it .
get the best educational quality from ketty editing com which is always the best.
pranay943

Post by pranay943 »

suggest me a book on how to improve speaking skill
myieltstest

Post by myieltstest »

hallo,

has anybody here ever used this book?
what do you think about it?

IELTS Practice Tests by Peter May
hannaliu

Post by hannaliu »

Dear all , I am in China now . I heard the THOMSON -IELTS pratice tests exam essentials which is quite useful . But how to get that ? It seems some website can open in china ,,, hope some give me tips .