Need an advice

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
suju

Need an advice

Post by suju »

My band in all section fluctuates between 6 and 6.5 ,but i need 7 in all section .Can anyone advice me what will be the better options especially in reading section, because i my feel reading comprehensive skill is poor.
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Re: Need an advice

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

suju wrote:My band in all section fluctuates between 6 and 6.5 ,but i need 7 in all section .Can anyone advice me what will be the better options especially in reading section, because i my feel reading comprehensive skill is poor.
How about uploading your speaking?

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/viewforum.php?f=4

I wrote an IELTS ebook of tips and the reading section can be read for free from my website in its preview: http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=467.
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
suju

Post by suju »

Thank you very much. I will soon upload my speaking as well.
artist

Post by artist »

Must I use big words/long sentences in speaking to convince the examiner that I have a wide range of vocabulary, or is it okay to use regular words and short sentences?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

artist wrote:Must I use big words/long sentences in speaking to convince the examiner that I have a wide range of vocabulary, or is it okay to use regular words and short sentences?
It depends on what your IELTS Speaking goal is. Scoring band 6 and above requires that you are able to demonstrate more complex grammatical structures in your speaking. But accuracy is everything. Inaccurate use of academic vocabulary can cause incoherence, and this can actually lower your overall mark.

My advice is to find a speaking coach and practice speaking patterns under their guidance. On your own time, you should be bolstering your vocabulary and experimenting regularly with cohesive devices and colloquialisms. Listening to academic resources can really help you here. Try to mimic the speaking you hear as best you can. When you get into the examination, only speak using the patterns you know well. Link your ideas together to demonstrate fluency. With the right kind of preparation, you should already have an understanding of your speaking level.

The public version of the IELTS Speaking band descriptors can help you understand how you are going to be assessed:

https://www.ielts.org/PDF/UOBDs_SpeakingFinal.pdf
Vahagn

Post by Vahagn »

Good Evening Mr Ryan
I did my first IELTS exam 2 weeks ago, and I have just received my scores. Its (7's from Reading and Listening, 6.5 from speaking and 6 from writing), overall it is 6.5 which is still not enough for the university i choose. I need at least 7 overall. During my very short preparation, which was about 2 weeks I used the materials which you have provided, and it was really great and useful, but if you can suggest me more specific stuff which will maximize my score in my case, I will be really pleased.
Additionally I really thank you for all material which you are giving us.
Vahagn
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Vanagh,

It sounds as though you are in need of personal coaching with your writing. Post your writing demonstration to this site and someone will get back to you with some feedback.

Good luck,
Ryan