Recorded Speaking Part

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
blueberryCake90

Recorded Speaking Part

Post by blueberryCake90 »

Hi,

I choose these questions from my IELTS training book and please give me a feedback for my pronounciation and "fluency". Maybe you can give me more advices .... On my record I was quite nervous because I did this only once and this is my first try.
My home country is Germany and I would like to pass the score of minimum 6 points. My plan is to apply for a master course in the winter time.
I guess speaking and writing are my worst parts. Skype? "Max Beurberry"

Thank you for your help. :)

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/fi ... 74f112ad38

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/fi ... 74f112ad38

1. What’s your favorite place to relax in your home?
2. Have you cooked a meal for a lot of people?
3. Are you planning to see any films in the near future?
4. Are going to travel anywhere later this year?

Describe a time you visited a friend’s home for a reason:
You should say: - When you went.
- Who you visited,
- What you did there and explain why you visited your friend’s home.
Attachments
second.mp3
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 499 times
first.mp3
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 503 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Recorded Speaking Part

Post by lmoore »

Hi, blueberryCake90,

Thank you for sharing your first recordings with us.
Overall, I would say that you have a rather solid command of English. Here are some thoughts I have.
First, if you are going to pass the IELTS, make sure you actually answer the question the interviewer puts to you. I was expecting to hear about your favorite place to relax in your home, but I heard more about your friend, Marcus’, life. I’m sure he is a fantastic guy, but you want to directly answer the interview question and then support it with relevant details.
Along this same line, I would suggest that you use transitions in your speech. This will help you move from one idea to another. I think I heard you use “additionally” once, but I couldn’t be sure because the speech was unclear at that moment.
Your vocabulary is pretty good. I heard “pacemaker,” for instance. However, I think that your vocabulary could stand to be improved significantly to really demonstrate a wide grasp of higher-level vocabulary. How often do you listen to stories from the BBC or other news outlets online? If you don’t do this regularly, I would suggest that you start. Listen once without reading the transcript, and then read the transcript as you listen to know how to spell and say new words you hear and see. Then practice using those words in your English conversations, both spoken and written.
Your pronunciation is easy to understand for the most part. I did hear you say, “wisit” at one point instead of “visit,” so make sure your /w/ and /v/ sounds are different. Put your top teeth on your bottom lip when you say /v/, and feel the vibration as you do so.
Here are some other notes:
--About some several topics – about several topics (no some)
--He has finally a job. – He finally has a job. (Move the adverb before verb.)
--He didn’t want to waste some time for planning. – He didn’t want to waste some time planning. (no for)
--He brought this tea from French. – Maybe you said France with a French accent, but you should have said “France.” The /a/ in “France” is short, as in “hat,” not the /ah/ sound like in “octopus.”
Best wishes as you continue to practice!
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Recorded Speaking Part

Post by lmoore »

My apologies. I just downloaded the top file that was attached to your post and didn’t pay attention to which was labeled “first” and “second.” Sorry!
That being said, here are some notes.
First, your pronunciation was a bit difficult to understand at the very beginning after you said your favorite place was your couch. I thought you said something about a “rabbit,” and I got really confused after that.
-- My favorite place is definitely in my couch – ON my couch
--It’s something similar like modern “Sherlock Holmes.” – It’s something similar TO “Sherlock Holmes.”
--On summer holidays, . . .b/c I’m student. – DURING THE summer holidays, …. b/c I am A student
While you addressed all the questions, note that during the interview, you are expected to answer these questions more fully, with more details. You need to be able to speak about these topics for at least a minute, and up to about two. Work on developing a topic sentence for these questions and then several details that support them. A mind map strategy could help you with that, in which you write the main idea in the middle of a piece of paper as you study, and then you write the details out to the side after that.
Best regards as you continue to practice!