On medical service

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
blurr

On medical service

Post by blurr »

I'm actually not quite sure about the meaning of medical service run by the government in the question here. From what I understand, medical service does not include insurance plans. I'm all for government managing the health insurance for the public instead of handing it over to private insurance companies like the US does. Because AFAIK, the health care system in the US requires an extra cost on human resource to do the management and bill auditing, which results in a cost-ineffective system. However, in terms of the medical service that people actually receive, I believe that people should have the freedom to choose their own doctors and hospitals, regardless of whether they belong to the government or private companies. Otherwise, people may end up having to wait for weeks before getting treatment because there may be not enough government-owned hospitals. So my essay was written based on these understandings. Please let me know if I'm wrong here. Thanks a lot.

Here are the topic and my essay:

Some people think that good health is a basic human need,so medical service should be run by the government instead of profit-making companies. Do you think the disadvantages of private health care outweigh the advantages?

It is believed that every individual has the right to live a healthy life, some people therefore suggest that public healthcare service should be provided by the government rather than private sectors. This essay will look into the advantages and disadvantages of having private companies as the health care provider.

Many countries that are in favor of private hospitals or clinics to provide medical service believe that private service providers can be more efficient and provide their customers with better service. Some developed countries, such as Japan and Germany, allow their citizens to choose private medical facilities over government-owned hospitals and still get their medical expenses covered by national health insurance plans. With this freedom of making choices, patients can simply go to a nearby clinic or hospital and get treatment immediately, without having to drive a long way to a government-funded hospital or wait in lines before getting the medical service they need.

On the other hand, people are concerned about using private medical service mainly because privately owned medical facilities normally require higher costs. This is especially true today when medical service often involves examinations that require high-tech equipment. Since the investment in the infrastructure can be extremely expensive, in many countries private companies charge much more than government funded hospitals in order to make profits.

In conclusion, I personally believe that it is generally a better and more efficient model to allow private companies to provide medical service for the people if the government makes policies that will help with controlling the medical cost under an affordable level for the health insurance system. (266 words)