Charmy

An interesting historic place

Post by Charmy »

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=286
Describe an interesting historic place. You should say:
what it is
where it is located
what you can see there now
and explain why this place is interesting.
http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=286
I still used the mind-map technique and "forced" a lot of new vocabulary to make me sound more fluent, even though I know forcing these advanced words that I'm not even familiar with is not really a natural way of improving my speaking. I find the mind-map thing really useful because it certainly reduces my repetitive hesitation(is this phrase accurate?) but on the other hand I still noticed a lot of grammar error such as "a dozens of time"(What I meant to say was "several dozens of times") and this mind-map technique certainly doesn't do any good to my grammar. I guess I still need to "practice makes perfect".
Attachments
recording20140717134722.mp3
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 505 times
IMG_20140717_135222.jpg
IMG_20140717_135222.jpg (160.57 KiB) Viewed 8053 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: An interesting historic place

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Charmy,
No, “repetitive hesitation” is not a correct phrase. You might say, “repetitiveness,” or your “tendency to repeat” yourself. 
This place sounds amazing! One thing you might clarify is the difference between a pagoda and a pavilion. While the two certainly are different, the average listener probably does not know what distinguishes one type of structure from the other.
It doesn’t matter if your new vocabulary sounds forced right now. You’re practicing at the moment, and that is more important than anything else. The more you use words in speaking and writing, the better chance you have of actually incorporating them into your everyday vocabulary.
Here are some notes:
-in the northwest of - in the northwest PART of
-in the southern – pronunciation of southern – Don’t enunciate the /ou/ sound so much. The word sounds like /suthern/. The “ou” sounds like a short “u,” like in “duck.”
-it’s first built more than 1,000 years ago – You can’t use the contraction “it’s” here, as this means “it is,” and you want to speak in the past tense. “It was” is the correct phrase here.
- it’s bringing with a lot of history – It brings a lot of history with it. OR (better) It has a lot of history.
-architecture – pronunciation – Be sure to say the “I” like a short “I,” like in “dig,” not an /ee/ sound like in “see.”
-the way it looks like now – the way it looks now
- the way it was depict – depicted
- You used a lot of “likes” at one point, which indicated to me that you were probably searching for what to say next.
- In those golden ages - in that golden age
Keep up the good work!
Charmy

Post by Charmy »

lmoore wrote:Hi, Charmy,
No, “repetitive hesitation” is not a correct phrase. You might say, “repetitiveness,” or your “tendency to repeat” yourself. 
This place sounds amazing! One thing you might clarify is the difference between a pagoda and a pavilion. While the two certainly are different, the average listener probably does not know what distinguishes one type of structure from the other.
It doesn’t matter if your new vocabulary sounds forced right now. You’re practicing at the moment, and that is more important than anything else. The more you use words in speaking and writing, the better chance you have of actually incorporating them into your everyday vocabulary.
Here are some notes:
-in the northwest of - in the northwest PART of
-in the southern – pronunciation of southern – Don’t enunciate the /ou/ sound so much. The word sounds like /suthern/. The “ou” sounds like a short “u,” like in “duck.”
-it’s first built more than 1,000 years ago – You can’t use the contraction “it’s” here, as this means “it is,” and you want to speak in the past tense. “It was” is the correct phrase here.
- it’s bringing with a lot of history – It brings a lot of history with it. OR (better) It has a lot of history.
-architecture – pronunciation – Be sure to say the “I” like a short “I,” like in “dig,” not an /ee/ sound like in “see.”
-the way it looks like now – the way it looks now
- the way it was depict – depicted
- You used a lot of “likes” at one point, which indicated to me that you were probably searching for what to say next.
- In those golden ages - in that golden age
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your detailed feedback! :D
juston33

Post by juston33 »

It doesn’t matter if your new vocabulary sounds forced right now. You’re practicing at the moment, and that is more important than anything else. The more you use words in speaking and writing, the better chance you have of
asad