Is it blessing or curse ?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Mr Yank

Is it blessing or curse ?

Post by Mr Yank »

Hi Ryan, how are the things with you ? First of all, I would like to express my thanks towards you.. For the contribution you are making for IELTS candidates' future prospects. I have been baffled by the platitude that following IELTS writing instructors' pointers is a mixed blessing. When one utilizes the structure you provide candidates they may be punished severely by the examiners (that's what happening in Uzbekistan) considering it is the duplication of an IELTS instructor. The same structure is repeated by the candidates and wind up getting a lower score. I wonder if you could expound in detail whether using the structures of instructors is okay to use or not. Thank you in advance.!
bridgetbones

Re: Is it blessing or curse ?

Post by bridgetbones »

Hi.Do you imply the structure for argument.or discussion essay?What exactly do you mean?For which structure do Uzb.candidates get penalty?
Mr Yank

Post by Mr Yank »

Not only Uzbek candidates but also other candidates encounter such kind of problem. It is all about structure ((
Bekhruz

Post by Bekhruz »

Ryan's structure ???? I couldnt exactly get it (I am from uzbekistan too )thats why i am worrying :oops:
bridgetbones

Post by bridgetbones »

Hi,Mr.Yank.Still.Share your topic and how you ordered reasoning and examples.And what kind of ielts instructor you have.How exactly he/she commented your writing substraction?You still don't put it straight!
Mr Yank

Post by Mr Yank »

I haven't taken the IELTS exam thus for . However, I do follow IELTS instructors' advice and try to work on that. In terms of writing I myself struggle a lot.. So that's why I am asking for Ryan if he could expound in detail the assessing criteria of IELTS writing task 2 accordingly
bridgetbones

Post by bridgetbones »

<When one utilizes the structure you provide candidates they may be punished severely by
the examiners (that's what happening in
Uzbekistan) considering it is the duplication
of an IELTS instructor. The same structure is
repeated by the candidates and wind up
getting a lower score.>
Structure here,as I see -introductory phrases or closing statements?If so,they are counted as plagiarism if memorized and transcribed ideally from sample essay.Structure is about organization,but not lexical cohesion!
Mr Yank

Post by Mr Yank »

That's what I am talking about
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Mr Yank wrote:Hi Ryan, how are the things with you ? First of all, I would like to express my thanks towards you.. For the contribution you are making for IELTS candidates' future prospects. I have been baffled by the platitude that following IELTS writing instructors' pointers is a mixed blessing. When one utilizes the structure you provide candidates they may be punished severely by the examiners (that's what happening in Uzbekistan) considering it is the duplication of an IELTS instructor. The same structure is repeated by the candidates and wind up getting a lower score. I wonder if you could expound in detail whether using the structures of instructors is okay to use or not. Thank you in advance.!
Hi Mr Yank,

I guess it all depends on what the candidate is actually producing in the exam room. If it is a complete regurgitation of an instructor's model essay, then yes of course their exam will be forfeited. But I think it is incorrect to assume the candidate needs to reinvent the science of essay writing every time they engage Task 2. All argument essays (taking argument essays as an example), whether they are university term papers or IELTS Task 2 attempts, follow some kind of claim > support > conclusion progression. These are the three intrinsic components of a basic argument, and I think you and I can agree that their presence in any essay is not evidence of a prefabricated answer.

So the issue lies in drawing a healthy middle ground between these two extremes. In my videos, I put forth structures that take into account the fact that many people around the world have trouble patterning their thoughts in written English. In fact, they often don't even know where to begin when it comes to organising their writing. Giving advice like "deliver a well-rounded answer" or "be sure to link different parts of the essay" without demonstrating basic models that students can replicate, master and then riff off of is simply too vague to provide the base that's needed to grow successful IELTS writers.

With regards to Uzbek candidate marks (by the way, where are you getting this information from?), I can't imagine improvising atop an essay structure they learned from an IELTS instructor would cause their scores to drop. At the end of the day, most successful essays will very loosely resemble each other in structure (i.e. introduction area presenting a roadmap for the essay, subsequent ideas brought up to act as evidence of something, minor conclusions drawn following some discussion of these pieces of evidence and finally a major conclusion(s) or restatement of position(s) made on the essay topic as a whole). A more likely scenario is that the candidates you are referring to are reproducing sentences that they've memorised from model essays.
Mr Yank

Post by Mr Yank »

Thank you for a thorough explanation.