Grammarly

Share a copyright friendly link, video or MP3.
robdrake

Grammarly

Post by robdrake »

I needed an "English Teacher" that can fit into my hectic, erratic schedule, as well as my poor wallet.

So getting a personalized tutor or attending English classes was out of the questions at the moment as I am only able to practice my English writing during ungodly hours.

So, I googled, found, and signed up a natural language processing tools - Grammarly

http://www.grammarly.com/

I was wondering if any members in this forum have used it? Do you find it useful? Is it helping you in advancing your writings?

The tool highlights erroneous spellings and grammars, it provides reasonings and examples how it should be corrected. The tool also picks up repetitive words, and provide alternative words to expand the vocabulary in the essay.

So far, I personally enjoyed using it to identify my weak grammar - albeit I still feel a little dubious if the system is actually accurate?

PS: Just a disclosure that I am in no way affiliated to Grammarly. I will apologize in advance if this thread come across like an advertisements. Ultimately, I just wonder if anyone is in same position as me looking for alternatives while juggling with limited resources in improving english writings.
Ryan

Re: Grammarly

Post by Ryan »

Hi robdrake,

I have never tried Grammarly, so I can't say one way or the other whether there is any merit to the service. However, there are a few things that make me a little suspicious. Firstly, although there are lots of positive blog reviews for Grammarly, they always seem to include affiliate links. This means that the person that wrote the review gets a small commission every time someone clicks through their link and buys Grammarly.

Grammarist.com does not recommend Grammarly and wrote an in depth review of the product here: http://grammarist.com/articles/grammarly-review/

Hope that helps!
robdrake

Re: Grammarly

Post by robdrake »

Thanks for the heads up Ryan. Really appreciate it

Yes, after several occasion of using Grammarly, I do have concerns if the tool are able to address sentences that are more semantic. At the moment I use Grammarly on word counts and picking up repetitive words. I may cancel my subscriptions next month or so.

Cheers