Managing your time in IELTS Writing Task 2

Share a copyright friendly link, video or MP3.
Tish
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by Tish »

Time is one of your worst enemies in the IELTS test. The following briefly describes how to manage your time using a step-by-step method to writing an IELTS Task 2 essay.

Step 1 (1 minute)
  • First, carefully read the question and underline the key words.
  • Then, think about what the question is actually asking. If it is an argument type essay, create a yes-no question so that you can answer it easily.
Step 2 (2 minutes)
  • Make two columns, one for yes and the other for no, and brainstorm your ideas to answer your yes-no question.
  • Some of your ideas may be repeated or somewhat irrelevant, but at this brainstorming stage this repetition is OK. You will edit your ideas more when it comes to the next step: planning.
  • NB: when brainstorming, also think about some of the words you would like to include in your essay, such as relevant idioms or collocations. By making a note of these words now, you can come back to them when you are planning, writing, or even when you are checking your work.
Step 3 (2 minutes)
  • Next, sort your ideas into a plan. Plan for 5 paragraphs: an introduction, 3 x body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
  • Body paragraphs 1 and 2 support your opinion and body paragraph 3 offers an alternative viewpoint, but then refutes that.
Step 4 (30 minutes)
  • Write your essay. After analysing the question, brainstorming, and planning, it’s now time to write.
Step 5 (5 minutes)
  • Finally, check your essay and make any minor adjustments.
  • While checking this essay, make sure all your apostrophes are in the right place and your plurals are accurate. Check that your pronouns are not too repetitive and that it is clear who they refer to.
Try this step-by-step approach and see if it helps you during your practice tests. Start with the method (steps 1 - 5), then add the timing component once you are confident with the steps. Let me know how you go!

For more information about writing for Task 2 in IELTS, please take a look at my e-courses on http://www.yes-ielts.com.

I hope that helps you!

- Tish
petryworn

Re: Managing your time in IELTS Writing Task 2

Post by petryworn »

HI Tish. Thanks for the tips. I would also like to share this post I found at http://www.ieltsexamstips.com/2014/09/t ... rking.html. It provides smart ways on how to manage time when you're working while reviewing for the #IELTS.