If you can't think of fitting Task 2 examples, try this...

Share a copyright friendly link, video or MP3.
Ryan

If you can't think of fitting Task 2 examples, try this...

Post by Ryan »

An essay's examples are very important, so when a candidate asks me whether leaving them out is an option I respond with a resounding "NO!"

Examples add weight to your argument or discussion and allow you to draw much more convincing conclusions in the final sentences of your supporting paragraphs.

So what do you do if when composing your essay you can't think of a fitting example?

The answer is to be creative and make one up.

Now when I say that, I don't mean to start making outlandish claims or rewriting history. Declaring that your friend invented the lightbulb is not going to win you much praise from your examiner. But keep in mind that IELTS Writing is a test of your ability to communicate a message in written English. It is not a polygraph. Your examiner is much more interested in gauging your skills than fact checking everything you've written.

To demonstrate exactly how a little creativity can help you if no examples come to mind, I've pulled together the following video. In this video, I create evidence for my supporting points and use this evidence to draw convincing conclusions that tie back to the central theme of the essay. Watch the video and then ask yourself: had I not told you the examples were fictitious, would you have known?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEsKrdsGlU4