task 2:the best time to learn a foreign language

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
FLS101

task 2:the best time to learn a foreign language

Post by FLS101 »

Some people believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

A much debated issue these days is what the best time to acquire a foreign language. Some people believe that primary school is a brilliant choice, while other people argue secondary school is preferable. After a thorough consideration, I am in support of the former.

One of the main point is that exposure to language in early age has high efficiency. For one hand, children memorise knowledge quicker, albeit a huge amount of .Besides, ample time provide an excellent condition for them to have a good grasp of language skills. For another hand, it contributes to speak fluent foreign language on account of less examination, compared with secondary school. This means that they treat a foreign language as a communication tool rather than a subject.

Another reason is that learning language for a long period is a competitive advantage. This is to say they are able to develop English thinking, mother-tongue understanding, communicating flexibly with native speakers owing to fewer barriers. It is the appropriate talent that multinational corporation need desperately.

There is no denying that some people are concerned about severe brain drain. Students tend to informed about foreign culture resulting in an increasing number of people going abroad. Disappointingly, loads of people won’t return back their motherland. As I see it, there are alternatives to address the problem. Primary schools offer some course concerning traditional course to cultivate a sense of identity and pride to their own culture, reducing cultural assimilation.

In conclusion, despite some drawbacks of acquiring a foreign language in primary school, the advantages play a dominant role.
allen_zhang

Re: task 2:the best time to learn a foreign language

Post by allen_zhang »

HI,
I want to give you an Ielts teacher's essay plan about this topic.

Here's our plan for a 4-paragraph essay:

Introduction: Topic = best age to learn a foreign language. Our opinion = better to learn at primary school age.

Disadvantages of learning languages at primary age:
1. other subjects are more important at that age (maths, mother tongue language, science),
2. learning a new language is confusing and wastes time, could delay development of child's first language.
Advantages of learning languages at primary age:
1. young children learn faster, they are less self-conscious or shy, they pick up the pronunciation better, they enjoy copying and learning through games.
2. nowadays languages are just as important as maths etc.

Conclusion: repeat / summarise our answer.

I am going to write an essay with this plan.

BR!
Allen
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

Below is my version of essay about this topic.

People have different views about what is the best age for children to start to learn a second language. While some people disagree with the idea of teaching children a foreign language at primary school, I tend to believe that it would be much more beneficial for children to learn a foreign language at their early age.

On the one hand, those who are against teaching foreign language at primary school have their concerns. The main argument of them is that they believe primary students should focus on other important subjects like math, science as well as mother tongue language. They claim that children are already overloaded with their study, learning a foreign will therefore impose an extra burden for children and ruin their happy childhood. Another concern of the opponents is children’s first language. They think that the time in primary school is the best age for students to learn their first language and the introducing of a second language may confuse children and delay the development of the mother tongue language.

However, I would argue that learning a foreign language at primary school is of more benefits to children. Firstly, the early age is the best time for children to learn languages. Children advance very fast if they start to learn a foreign at primary school because they are less self-conscious or shy and they can pick up the pronounce much better. Secondly, foreign language is just as important as other subjects nowadays. Modern society has become more and more competitive. Having a good command of a second language can help children standing out in their later adult lives.

To sum up, there are some reasons for people to doubt about foreign language courses at primary school. But in my view, it must be a better choice for children to learn a second language as early as possible.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
FLS101

Post by FLS101 »

Thank you for your reply.I suppose body 1 should demonstrate our support view. Maybe place it in later is better :D :D :D :D