suggestions to RYAN

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
durai

suggestions to RYAN

Post by durai »

Hi Ryan,

I find this forum very useful if you keep giving some suggestion on writing.

Because if we know that no one going to check our work then we don't know what we missing in our essays and often we get bored to visit this forum.

I understand that you cannot give suggestions for all essays that are submitted , but at least try to give one a day, that keeps this forum very active. I assume that this forum is yours, if you are not the mediator then don't worry.

I am trying to check one essay a day because that may improve my language.

Let me know your outcome.

thanks
Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
durai

Re: suggestions to RYAN

Post by durai »

hi guys,

Does anyone want to comment on above message ?

Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

It seems that you are addressing Ryan.
Ryan is an Ielts teacher and I don't think that he will have enough time to assess that many essays - one essay per day.

I saw Ryan's work in this forum before - always in great detail. I guess he must spends a lot of time on a single essay.

As I know, Ryan provides essay correction service( not for free ) which you can see from his blog - http://www.ieltsielts.com .

Let's try harder to improve our English skills.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
Chi

Post by Chi »

Hello Durai,

I think we all agree that Ryan has contributed a great deal to this forum and I believe that he has done the best he can. I must say, and most of you might agree, that his contribution to the IELTS students is very generous of him.

Even though Ryan is the moderator and founder of this forum, there is nowhere that it says he must provide feedback for the essays that members post here. And we should appreciate what he has done, or anyone else has done, on free will and refrain from pushing and requesting.

I believe the purpose of this forum is to provide IELTS students a platform where they can share information and study together. The participation of a number of IELTS teachers and English native speakers is great source of help for the students, but they don't owe anyone any obligation whatsoever.

I understand where you come from and how frustrating this test preparation could be. From looking at your writing (from several posts), I think you still make a lot of grammatical mistakes, likely from being careless. You should pay closer attention to small details and try to correct yourself before submitting your posts.

If you are not sure how some words/phrases/sentences should be used, maybe post that particular question on the forum, I think you will likely get the answer quicker than posting the whole essay. I know you want feedback on your essays, but before writing a good essay, it is crucial to be able to write a completely correct sentence.

If you want to learn what proper English is, I suggest finding some news articles or essay samples that you know for sure they are written by a person with good command of English and free of errors, and copy them word to word. I believe you can get a feeling of how English is written. Read it out loud if you want. Just remember that you must not overlook any details including what articles or prepositions being used, whether words are in singular or plural form.

Also, as Allen pointed out, teaching IELTS is Ryan's profession. He might have other professions, but this is one of his. And I hope we should be sensible enough not to ask (or command) a person to provide free service from which he/she derives income. It is like some stranger comes to me and says "Do my tax return for an exchange of a leaf that I just picked on the footpath". I would tell that person to go away (maybe not the exact words, I would add few more here and there), even though I am totally free and bored to death. I'd rather spend my time watching ants. Even if my neighbor comes and says the same thing, I would tell him I am busy watching ants. If another neighbor who greets me every day with a smile and gives me a pie every time he makes some, comes to me and says: "I am doing my tax return, and I don't really know how to fill this item out, can you please help me". I might actually go over and have a look, although I was watching the ants and don't want to miss them.

All the best with your studies.

Cheers,
Chi