Please grade my essay

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
sertonima

Please grade my essay

Post by sertonima »

Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Since the times when the law became a vital element of community existence, people have started following passed rules and being responsible for the actions they accomplished. Being an instrument of society regulation over the globe, the crime policy still remains under discussion. While some people are of the view that punishment for the same types of crime shouldn’t be different, others believe that measures of sentence can vary according to the individual case. In my essay I am going to investigate both sides of this issue and suggest my own opinion.

On the one hand, referring to the constitution, all people are equal in their rights and responsibilities. It gives evidence that punishments for each type of crimes should be fixed independently of the reasons and consequences. This approach to imposition of sentence strengthens the idea of human equality and demonstrates the whole seriousness of crime commission. Furthermore, constant punishments can allow to reduce the amount of expenses the government spends on conducting the suits and supporting jury trial.

On the other hand, there are a huge number of factors that mustn’t be left without suitable investigation before imposing the punishment. For instance, whether a crime was intentional or was committed accidentally, a law was broken by responsible person or by individual with mental disorder, whether a defendant acted alone or with culpable participants. All these circumstances should be definitely considered during the process of verdict passing. Otherwise, the possibilities to be unjustly convicted and punished will increase.

My conclusion is that only by considering all the facts, circumstances and individual purposes and motivations, the fair sentence will be imposed.