Please, advise me the errors and rate my writing

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
rider.anand

Please, advise me the errors and rate my writing

Post by rider.anand »

Task-2 Question:
Some people believe that there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion (from Cambridge - 7)

My Answer:
People often argue on whether there should be fixed punishments for each type of crime or one should be punished based on the nature and circumstance of his crime.

In many societies, there are fixed punishments with respect to each particular type of crime. The major advantage of fixed punishment is that people always would be aware of his prospective punishment before committing any crime. Such an alert may retard people to do any ill deed. This will create positive impact on the stability of society.

But in some cases, one may not have committed a crime intentionally which has a huge punishment will make injustice. For example, in many countries, if someone kills anybody, he will be sentenced to death. But, if someone kills anybody in self-defence, should he be punished like that? In many cases, many unfortunate people suffer from such type of fixed punishment.

On the other hand, punishing people based on the nature and circumstance of crime is also practical in many societies. This type of punishment practice may ensure justice through measuring the intention and extent of any committed crime. People will get the opportunity to defend themselves and to explain the background for involving with the crime.

But, in other cases, there could be different judgement in a similar crime judged by different judge and court. Moreover, in certain countries, where the jury system is also corrupted as a part of mass corruption, judgment can often be biased with the influence of money and power. In such cases, a general public could be punished higher for a less crime, while a powerful person may avoid punishment for a large crime.

Therefore, I suppose there could be an intermediate system in fixing punishment. The punishment for each crime could be defined by a minimum and a maximum range, and the degree of punishment of a particular crime would be determined based on the nature and circumstance within that range. Such an ideal process may be helpful to establish better justice avoiding extremeness of fixed punishment and biasedness of the later approach.

In conclusion, I can say that it is never easy to fix punishment for a crime which may ensure justice for both the criminal and the victim of crime. But, it is always can be optimized with an approach, intermediate of fixed punishment and punishment considering circumstance of crime.