An essay on free libraries

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
blurr

An essay on free libraries

Post by blurr »

This is an essay I wrote for practice. This is the topic of wrting task 2 in the exam of July 14th 2012 in China. I have to admit that I stole some ideas about the functions of public libraries from google search results.

Some people think that the government should establish free libraries in each town. Others, however, believe that it is a waste of money since the public can use the Internet at home to obtain information. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.

Public libraries are commonly seen in many countries as places where citizens can read, access the Internet, or borrow books for free. While some people argue that the Internet can be a replacement for public libraries, I personally believe that public libraries are still important today.

Those in favor of free libraries in every town believe that people can benefit from free libraries in a number of different ways. Public libraries have succeeded in providing local residents with equal access to information, fostering interests in literature and arts, and promoting self-education and lifelong learning. In addition, many modern public libraries provide other services such as free access to the Internet, weekend story sessions for preschool children to promote literacy, as well as study areas for their readers. While their primary function remains offering books that can be borrowed for free, public libraries have become community centers in many towns where many people choose to spend their leisure time.

On the other hand, there are people who believe that free libraries are no long necessary because the Internet can be an alternative way to access information. While many pre-Internet books have been digitalized, today new books are normally available in both printed and digital versions. Therefore it is clear that the Internet is becoming one of the most important channels for people to acquire information. Many people prefer to read e-books because it is not only convenient to do so, but it also saves time and expenses on travelling to the library.

In my opinion, although the Internet has become an important source of information, it cannot completely replace traditional public libraries which not only help promote the enjoyment of reading, especially for those without computer literacy, but also function as community centers. (292 words)