(Task 2) Essay: public transport

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
KrK

(Task 2) Essay: public transport

Post by KrK »

Hello, could somebody give some hints regarding my essay? :)

The question was: what are the pros and cons of using public transport?

Nowadays, there are some great concerns about public transport. Being the partial solution of the global warming issue it is also introduced to be one of the main components of modern cities in future. However, there are some opinions which state that public means of transport can not be more convenient than driving a car. In this essay, both the advantages and the disadvantages will be discussed and the author's opinion provided at the end.

To begin with, public transport complies with the policies that are being embraced in some developed countries. For instance, the European Union proposed the idea of smart cities. It should include a complex information system that monitors in what way an user should travel to reduce the time and energy used. As a result, this would help to save the energy resources and would be really convenient for people. The key component of this system is the public transport. Another major advantage of the public means of travel is that it helps to decline the air pollution. For example, China is struggling with the problem of burning too much fossil fuel at this moment of time. This issue could be addressed by developing the public transport and, therefore, reducing the number of cars used daily.

Turning to the other side of the argument, riding buses and trains is not the best option right now. It can be seen in my native country, Lithuania. The schedule of them is rather sparse. It means that spontaneous trips usually end up as waiting considerable amount of time in bus or train stops. Furthermore, some areas of my city are very difficult to reach. The most convenient travel path is to take a bus that is rare and then go by foot up to several kilometers. It is clear now why I often prefer to drive my car.

In conclusion, it can be noted that public transport has a perspective future ahead. Although it is considered to be a modern approach to the most pressing issues of nowadays, it also lacks convenience in some parts of the world. Thus, in my opinion, its drawbacks outweigh the benefits currently. However, it is hoped that the public means of transport will be dramatically improved in following years and the reverse will be true.