governments spending taxpayers’ money on the arts

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
nguyenquanghuy

governments spending taxpayers’ money on the arts

Post by nguyenquanghuy »

Topic 2:
Some people object to governments spending taxpayers’ money on the arts, such as paintings and sculptures in public places, because they believe that there are higher priorities for public spending.
What is your opinion?

Most governments spend part of their budget on the arts. However, many people oppose the spending because arts have only a paltry value in the growth of a nation. From my own perspective, I am in favor of this opinion.

To begin with, I believe, there are more important sectors that governments should invest in than arts. The first priority has to be education since it enhances human capital, the most crucial element for the development of a country. Studies in social science have proved that the level of average education positively correlates with that of living standard. Secondly, in my opinion, modern technology and infrastructure is quite necessary for the economy, the traffic, foreign affairs and so forth. For example, modern transport networks in big cities like New York or Melbourne have helped reduce traffic congestions caused by the overpopulation, thus providing citizens a comfortable life.

Admittedly, the display of arts in public places may attract tourists, hence increasing incomes from tourism. However, the nexus between arts and incomes is weak or even unrealistic because most tourists tend to be lured by landscapes and shopping spots instead of pieces of arts displayed on the street. Besides, if governments want to boost tourism, they have far better choices such as improving public services and investing in tourist destinations. These activities not only promote tourism but also improve the living environment of local people.

In conclusion, the above examples are just few of the many sectors that deserve to be invested in by governments more than arts. It is, therefore, suggested that governments think about spending taxpayers’ money on arts only after all prioritized sectors are taken care of.

Please help me evaluate this essay.

Thank you!