Question Regarding "Advantages outweigh Disadvantages" essay

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
IndianHarry

Question Regarding "Advantages outweigh Disadvantages" essay

Post by IndianHarry »

Hi,

I often come across essay topics that ask you if you think the advantages of XYZ ouweigh the disadvatages. Do I have to mention both during my essay?

As an example -

In many cities, shops, schools, offices and homes will be developed widely separated. DO you think the advantages of this outweighed the disadvantages?

I start by brainstorming , and I come up with about 5 advantages compared to just 2 disadvantages. So, naturally, I choose to agree with the question that its advantages do outweigh the disadvantages.

Now, during the essay, do I mention the disadvantages?

Regards
Harry Singh Sra
Skype - harry.5abi
vipin

Re: Question Regarding "Advantages outweigh Disadvantages" e

Post by vipin »

i am also struggling to find information on the same but from whatever googling i have done, i understand both sides should be presented with your opinion clearly highlighted.
vipin

Post by vipin »

Awesome!!. thanks a ton Guru
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

IndianHarry wrote:Hi,

I often come across essay topics that ask you if you think the advantages of XYZ ouweigh the disadvatages. Do I have to mention both during my essay?

As an example -

In many cities, shops, schools, offices and homes will be developed widely separated. DO you think the advantages of this outweighed the disadvantages?

I start by brainstorming , and I come up with about 5 advantages compared to just 2 disadvantages. So, naturally, I choose to agree with the question that its advantages do outweigh the disadvantages.

Now, during the essay, do I mention the disadvantages?

Regards
Hi Harry,

As you've pointed out, this question would be best responded to using an argument essay structure. I would still make mention of the disadvantages, but this doesn't mean you have to look at them in any detail. Reiterating that the advantages are more obvious than the disadvantages (which may not even exist in some cases) would be enough. An alternative would be to disprove the merit of a supposed disadvantage. For example, you could offer some concession by stating that "many people feel XYZ is a disadvantage" and then disprove this with well-positioned evidence. This sort of paragraph could conclude with you pointing out that the commonly held disadvantages are not nearly as strong as the advantages.