Topic of financial courses

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
yhjsaber

Topic of financial courses

Post by yhjsaber »

Financial education should be mandatory component of the school program. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

It is true that there are few opportunities for children to improve their financial capacity at school. However, I would oppose the view that financial education should be included in a school’s curriculum.

At the present, school children are encouraged to allot bulk of their time to focus on studying academic subjects such as mathematics, science and language. These courses help students to gain essential knowledge and to foster analytical skills, which are vital for them to pursue a desired career in the ever innovating modern world. With the timetable already being thoroughly occupied by these subjects, schools nowadays are incapable of sparing time to teach anything extra.

Furthermore, skills such as operating a bank account, estimating annual revenues and avoiding financial deficits are not beneficial enough to be integrated into the school program. This is because these are critical life skills which any individual constantly acquire, update and implement throughout their life. In other words, managing one’s finance is an ability that can be self-taught and spontaneously improved upon as a person matures. This is why most adults have no difficulties administering their capital without being educated in an accounting institute. As seen above, it would be a waste of student’s time if financial education were made a necessary part of schools’ curriculum.

In conclusion, schools have always aimed to prepare students for their future studies and professional life through teaching conventional academic subjects. If they start to incorporate financial trainings, the study of more important academic subjects will suffer.
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: Topic of financial courses

Post by Flick »

yhjsaber wrote:Financial education should be a mandatory component of the school program. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

It is true that there are few opportunities for children to improve their financial capacity at school. However, I would oppose the view that financial education should be included in a school’s curriculum.

At present, school children are encouraged to allot the bulk of their time to focusing on studying academic subjects such as mathematics, science and language. These courses help students to gain essential knowledge and to foster analytical skills, which are vital for them to pursue a desired career in the ever changing modern world. With the timetable already being thoroughly occupied by these subjects, schools nowadays are incapable of sparing time to teach anything extra.

Furthermore, skills such as operating a bank account, estimating annual revenues and avoiding financial deficits are not beneficial enough to be integrated into the school program. This is because these are critical life skills which any individual constantly acquire, update and implement throughout their life. In other words, managing one’s finance is an ability that can be self-taught and spontaneously improved upon as a person matures. This is why most adults have no difficulties administering their capital without being educated in an accounting institute. As seen above, it would be a waste of student’s time if financial education was made a necessary part of schools’ curriculum.

In conclusion, schools have always aimed to prepare students for their future studies and professional life through teaching conventional academic subjects. If they start to incorporate financial training, the study of more important academic subjects will suffer.
Hi yhjsaber,

This was a pleasure to read. You present your argument clearly and make very good points. Your argument has persuaded me to reconsider my opinion. This is an excellent essay!

Flick
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

This is indeed a very good essay. I hope that I will have the same good grammar control and can come up with nice ideas as presented in this essay.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
yhjsaber

Post by yhjsaber »

Thank you Flick and Allen. Grammar was indeed a pain in the ass for me. I have had to read 6 books and countless journal articles in the last two months in order for me to achieve this level. It looks like everything is paid off. By comparing the essays I wrote recently with those I did two months ago, I experience an amazing evolution from band 6 to this level. I am becoming more confident in scoring band 8 in writing on the next IELTS test, which is on 17th of May. I will keep posting essays in this forum and hope that we can both push our boundaries further.
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Post by Flick »

Good luck on the test. You should be proud of your progress!
Flick