Discussion essay on topic of Some people believe that it is good to share as much information as possible

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Xbb

Discussion essay on topic of Some people believe that it is good to share as much information as possible

Post by Xbb »

Some people believe that it is good to share as much information as possible in scientific research, business and the academic world. Others believe that some information is too important or too valuable to share freely.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
-------------------------------------------- ************************* -------------------------

People have different views on the effective ways to share information. While I concur that certain data are critically vital to be publicly shared, I am in alignment with those who harbor the view that information sharing in scientific studies, business and academia is more beneficial to the society.

There is several reasons for the belief that some classified information, if widely shared, could trigger numerous detrimental effects. Research on new technologies of missile or nuclear power of governments the world over, for instance, if popularly disclosed could lead to potential national security threats. This is due to the risk that if these works were leaked and fell into the wrong hands of terrorists or enemy countries, they could become valuable resources to create mass destructive weapons to invade areas or nations and carry out massacre on a large scale. As this risk is deemed enormous and intolerable, it is prudent that highly confidential information should be kept secretly with rigorous protection plans.

However, I agree with the idea that sharing an abundance of information among science, business and academic worlds offers more good than harm. This is because it can foster the development in these areas and create numerous derived practical applications. Take Android, the most popular mobile operating system in the world, as an exemplar. If Google decided to keep its source code behind closed doors, the mobile revolution could have not been carried out because most mobile manufacturers would encounter major barriers from prohibitive development cost and time to develop a comparable cornerstone. It is therefore clear that providing the unrestricted access to a wealth of information, given it is not related to nation security risks, can offer huge advantages to technological development and application, which then in turn benefits the society as a whole.

In conclusion, I personally believe that sharing information and knowledge among scientific institutes, companies and academic world is beneficial owing to the significant growth that it can boost, which clearly outweighs the identified drawbacks.
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: Discussion essay on topic of Some people believe that it is good to share as much information as possible

Post by Flick »

Xbb wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 am Some people believe that it is good to share as much information as possible in scientific research, business and the academic world. Others believe that some information is too important or too valuable to share freely.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
-------------------------------------------- ************************* -------------------------

People have different views on effective ways to share information. While I concur that certain data must be publicly shared, I am in alignment with those who harbor the view that information sharing in scientific studies, business and academia is more beneficial to the society.

There are several reasons for the belief that some classified information, if widely shared, could trigger numerous detrimental effects. Government research on new missile or nuclear technologies, for instance, if popularly disclosed could lead to potential national security threats. This is due to the risk that if these works were leaked and fell into the hands of terrorists or enemy countries, they could become valuable resources to create weapons of mass destruction to carry out massacre on a large scale. As this risk is deemed enormous and intolerable, it is prudent that highly confidential information should be kept secret with rigorous protection plans.

However, I agree with the idea that sharing an abundance of information among the science, business and academic worlds offers more good than harm. This is because it can foster development in these areas and create numerous derived practical applications. Take Android, the most popular mobile operating system in the world, as an example. If Google decided to keep its source code behind closed doors, the mobile revolution could have not been carried out because most mobile manufacturers would encounter major barriers from prohibitive development costs and time to develop a comparable cornerstone. It is therefore clear that providing unrestricted access to a wealth of information, given it is not related to nation security risks, can offer huge advantages to technological development and application, which in turn benefits the society as a whole.

In conclusion, I personally believe that sharing information and knowledge among scientific institutes, companies and the academic world is beneficial owing to the significant growth that it can boost, which clearly outweighs the identified drawbacks.