Task1- friend asking for advice

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
rairaichan0115

Task1- friend asking for advice

Post by rairaichan0115 »

Q: You recently received a letter from a friend asking for advice about whether to go to college or to try to get a job. You think he/she should get a job.

Write a letter to this friend. In your letter

 Say why he/she would not enjoy going to college
 Explain why getting a job is a good idea for his/her
 Suggest types of job that would be suitable for him/her

Dear Jenny,

I hope you’re well. Last time, you asked me whether to go to college or to commence a job. I have considered this question for a long time, I would like to suggest you to attempt to get a job first.

The reason why I would recommend you not to continue to school as you don’t know what subject you are particularly interested in. If now you take any courses then you may take a wrong choice and you would not be the enthusiasm of your study. Based on this reason, I would advise you to start working first. While you working, you may find which area you may especially interest in. Therefore, you could take some courses in this section at the institution.

As I know you, you love travelling and good at communicating with someone. So I think you can try to get a job which requires person to have a good communication skill. For example, salesperson, shop assistant or flight attendant.

I hope my advice will help you. When you have made your final decision then please write and tell me.

Best Regards

Mary
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Task1- friend asking for advice

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

You have covered the three points, as required, but I think that there should be a bit more detail in your answers. Regarding the type of job, you suggest shop assistant because your friend likes travelling ...

However, grammar and vocabulary are both good. There is a good mix of grammatical structures and although there are many mistakes, meaning is clear.

Overall, good, but could easily be very good.

All the best,
David
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: Task1- friend asking for advice

Post by Flick »

rairaichan0115 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 am Q: You recently received a letter from a friend asking for advice about whether to go to college or to try to get a job. You think he/she should get a job.

Write a letter to this friend. In your letter

 Say why he/she would not enjoy going to college
 Explain why getting a job is a good idea for his/her
 Suggest types of job that would be suitable for him/her

Dear Jenny,

I hope you’re well. Last time I saw you, you asked me whether to go to college or to get a job. I have considered this question for a long time, and I would like to suggest you attempt to get a job first.

The reason why I would recommend you don't go to college is because you don’t know what subject you are particularly interested in. If you take any courses now, then you may make the wrong choice and you would not be enthusiastic about your study. Based on this reason, I would advise you to start working first. While you are working, you may find which area you are especially interested in. Therefore, you could take some courses in this section at college.

As I know, you love travelling and are good at communicating. So I think you should try to get a job which requires good communication skills. For example, a salesperson, shop assistant or flight attendant.

I hope my advice will help you. When you have made your final decision, please write and tell me.

Best Regards

Mary