Why many IELTS candidates get a high score after challenging ?

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Aky

Why many IELTS candidates get a high score after challenging ?

Post by Aky »

Hello!

Well, I have question about IELTS exam namely Writing portion. One of my friends took the IELTS exam couple of months ago and he received overall 7.5. However, he got 6 from writing and wanted to challenge it one more time. After months I received another IELTS certificate with 7.5 on his writing portion. Someone told me that the money for challenging goes to examiners which allows examiners to give a high score. I wonder is it true or untrue ?. And also one question that spick to my mind is that is it possible to increase score for money I mean that challenging in IELTS costs an amount of money or this is because it is up to examiners to give a higher score. Why examiners give a high score after rechecking candidate’s essay.

Thank you very much for comment or feedback. :D
Xbb

Re: Why many IELTS candidates get a high score after challenging ?

Post by Xbb »

I guess it is acceptable to say that at certain times, there maybe a few examiners could be reckless while marking. Probably it is due to huge piles of essays on each exam that this issue might happen. Appealed essay should be differently remarked thus its score maybe changed or increased. I suppose this is the only rational grounds for your friend's case, not the compensation to the examiners' personal pockets though.