Task 2, Test 2, Cambridge IELTS 10

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
thanhame

Task 2, Test 2, Cambridge IELTS 10

Post by thanhame »

Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study subjects that will be useful in the future, such as those related to science and technology.

Discuss both these views and give your opinion.

Some people believe that university students should be given the option to learn whatever they want. Others argue that they must study subjects that can be of use in the future, such as math, physics, engineering, etc. I agree with the first opinion to some extent while partially disagree with the second.

The freedom of choice for students can be beneficial or disadvantageous. For the determined minds that already has clear goals and plans, being able to freely choose their preferred subjects often yields great results as it allows the dreamers to pursue the knowledge they find particularly useful to them. However, for the ones that haven’t figured out their path, not knowing what they really like yet, the experience of finding the right subjects to take can be a daunting and occasionally, frustrating task. Those impressionable minds will be tempted to take the same classes as their best friends or a girl that they had taken a particular liking. This will often result in bad grades, time wasting and possibly unemployment upon graduation.

On the other hand, restricting students’ option to only a few subjects deemed beneficial to the society may do more harm than good to some. With limited choices, especially when options for the pursuit of arts unavailable, several may find tertiary education experiences to be tedious and uninspiring. Which in turn, guarantee to discourage efforts and hinder achievements.

In my opinion, students should be required to take certain compulsory subjects, like math, English, while having freedom of choice for the rest of the curriculum to keep them inspired while remaining on track.

In conclusion, allowing university student to freely choose their curriculum can be beneficial, given certain important subjects are kept compulsory.

I'm aiming for band 7, any feedback is highly appreciated.