General Task 1. Sport and leisure. Please evaluate

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
HelenSun

General Task 1. Sport and leisure. Please evaluate

Post by HelenSun »

Your valueable feedback is needed regarding any mistake, vocabulary range, grammar, response understanding, suggestions to improve and etc.
What phrases or sentences are irrelevant and you do not like?

Many thanks in advance.

Question:
Your local council is considering closing a sports and leisure centre that it runs, in order to save money. Write a letter to the council. In your letter
- give details of how you and your friends or family use the centre
- explain why the sports and leisure centre is important for the local community
- describe the possible effects on local people if the centre closes

Response:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to raise my concern regarding closing our sports and leisure centre. Please allow me to explain why this centre is so essential for the local community.

Having sedentary job, my husband and I attend the centre almost daily. Particularly, we really like the gym because it has very spacious and clear rooms with quite wide range of trainegers. For the same reason, many dwellers also prefer training there, especially the young and middle aged people. In addition, our son is fond of figure skating and the centre is one of the few places where children can train it. Furthermore, being convenient to meet friends, the centre allows us to employ our leisure together, in particular on tennis courts, swimming pool and in billiard rooms.

As you can imagine, the closure of the centre could have a number of negative consequences. Firstly, being lived far from the other nearest sport centre, local people, including children, may become less engaged in sport activities. As a result, it might affect their health. Secondly, if the centre closes, the community will lose comfortable place with healthy atmosphere to communicate face to face.

Your close attention to this matter is needed.

Yours faithfully,
Mrs Hellen Smith
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: General Task 1. Sport and leisure. Please evaluate

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

Trainegers?

Overall, a very good letter. All points are addressed and developed with some good examples. Vocabulary is wide and accurately used (generally - employ our leisure?). There's a good range of grammatical structures and accuracy is good, despite some errors (e.g. being lived).

The salutation and signing off are perfect!

Well done!
David
HelenSun

Re: General Task 1. Sport and leisure. Please evaluate

Post by HelenSun »

Hello!

Thank you a lot for your answer.

1. 'Trainegers' - I meant 'equipment for training muscles'.

2. 'To employ our leisure' - I meant 'to spend free time' using word 'leisure.'
Or a mistake was in 'our'?