Please assess my Task 2 General Writing. Thank You!

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
antsatno

Please assess my Task 2 General Writing. Thank You!

Post by antsatno »

Question:

Some people say that in all levels of education, from primary schools to universites, too much time is spent on learning facts and not enough on learning practical skills.

Do you agree or disagree?

Answer:
Having a sound theoretical knowledge will help students in certain areas. From primary schools to universities, students are taught just the facts or theoretical background on their subjects. Even though, few schools (or universities) focus more on teaching practical skills, most of the schools are just teaching the facts to their students. In this essay, we will be discussing few examples to showcase that too much time is spent on just facts but not on practical skills.

Time table tells us exactly what our kids are doing in schools or universities. By looking at it, we can clearly tell that schools are not spending their time in teaching practical skills. For example, looking at my two kids time table clearly show cases that none of the classes during the day is been dedicated for learning practical skills. Also, the assignments given to them does also focus just on theoretical knowledge rather practical skills.

Secondly, we can look at a research conducted by a team of experts to showcase students are lagging in practical skills. The idea of the research is to pick the Robotics students from several universities around the world and give them a task of building a simple robot. Surprisingly, the result shows that only 6% of the students were able to come with 45% of the given problem solution and the remaining 94% couldn't even come up with a initial design for the problem. This clearly tells universities focus more on the facts rather training the practical skills.

Almost all schools and universities around the world teaching only the facts to their students. We had seen two real world cases to agree to this topic.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Please assess my Task 2 General Writing. Thank You!

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

A weak and unconvincing essay. The first main paragraph simply sets the background. No examples are given. The second paragraph uses research which almost every examiner will disregard as fake. I found nothing about it on the internet. Even if it is true, it only tells us what you already wrote in the first main paragraph - repetition.

To be fair to you, the question is wrong. The question should be asking you to evaluate the relative values of facts and practical skills.

Grammar and vocabulary are reasonable but not used to create a coherent argument, as to why this is happening or whether it is good or bad or whether the situation can be changed. These are what IELTS writing questions would require you to do.

All the best,
David
antsatno

Re: Please assess my Task 2 General Writing. Thank You!

Post by antsatno »

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your reply. And for your valuable comments. Will improve on them.

Thanks once again.