IELTS GT Task 1-Formal Letter

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
tatheerzehra

IELTS GT Task 1-Formal Letter

Post by tatheerzehra »

On a recent holiday you lost a valuable item. Fortunately you have travel insurance to cover the cost of anything lost.
Write a letter to the manager of your insurance company. In your letter
• describe the item you lost
• explain how you lost it
• tell the insurance company what you would like them to do
Dear Sir/Madam
I am writing this letter with reference to my Travel Insurance Policy # ABC123XYZ. During my recent visit to Canada, despite all the adequate measures, I had lost my laptop bag during transit from Vancouver to Toronto.
My lost mobile was the latest available model of Apple. It had a memory card of 4 GB attached and was jet black in color. Furthermore, it was encased in a beautiful and expensive leather bag.
During my stay in Canada, my final trip was from Vancouver to Toronto. I was waiting for the train when I saw a little girl crying. The poor little soul was separated from her mother. I could not watch her crying and immediately approached her. After a little hassle, I managed to find her mother and handed her over. After this, I realized that I had left my luggage on the bench while waiting for train but the moment I reached back , my laptop bag was missing. After a frantic search, I also filed a complaint with the local police authorities but of no use.
Now as per policy, I want you to refund the invoice amount. Copy of the invoice and police complaint is also attached for reference.
I am looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
Yours faithfully,
Tatheer Zehra Hassan
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: IELTS GT Task 1-Formal Letter

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

Overall, quite good, but there are few errors that would adversely affect your score.

1. There's a sudden jump from LAPTOP bag to mobile phone. Then the mobile phone is in another bag - or do you mean 'case'?
2. Why did you leave your bag? This could affect your claim, but I don't think that'll matter much here.
3. 'hassle' and 'complaint' are not used correctly

Grammar is good, despite a few basic errors.

All the best,
David