kindly assess my Wr1ting Task 2

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
meliscan

kindly assess my Wr1ting Task 2

Post by meliscan »

Tests and examinations are a central feature of school systems in many countries.
Do you think the educational benefits of testing outweigh any disadvantages?
Give reasons for your answer, and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Every school have a common system to know if their students have learn from the lessons they've been studying. This is the main purpose of examinations or tests. I believe the educational benefits of examining the students knowledge have more positive advantages than it's disadvantages. One is to know their weak subjects and to what area they can improve. Moreover, they will also have the knowledge where they can enhance and progress their study.

Firstly, knowing the particular subject matter that they need to develop. For instance, mathematics is one of the most dreaded subject for many learners. From the result of the test, it will help them to focus more in revising their study habits. Thus, testing can shape them up for better result.

Secondly, being aware of their strong points. Example, a student who is good in Science and have impressive score in the exam. Recognizing this will give them an idea for their future plans in further education. Therefore, it also set right their goals in life.

In conclusion, there are more advantages than disadvantages in testing. Surely, the stress, anxiety and sleepless nights they spent are not enjoyable. But acquiring strong abilities and knowing where to make strides are very helpful in taking off with their prospect in life.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: kindly assess my Wr1ting Task 2

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

Ah, another essay with a longer introduction than main paragraphs! I forecast weak, undeveloped arguments! :twisted:

The first main paragraph doesn't make sense. If testing helps the students to improve, then they shouldn't be so concerned about the test in future, because previous tests have helped them.

The point in the second main paragraph is generally true, but you haven't mentioned how not having tests would/wouldn't achieve the same result.

As predicted ...

In the conclusion, you have not mentioned whether this stress would exist even if there were no tests and students were assessed by other means.

Grammar is fairly accurate, but the range of structures is limited, particularly with regard to the use of modals (lots of 'will', which raises the question of how you are so sure!).

Vocabulary is reasonable, but I'd expect much more range and detail in a good essay.

All the best,
David
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: kindly assess my Wr1ting Task 2

Post by Flick »

meliscan wrote:Tests and examinations are a central feature of school systems in many countries.
Do you think the educational benefits of testing outweigh any disadvantages?
Give reasons for your answer, and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Every school has a common system to ensure their students have learnt from the lessons they've been studying. This is the main purpose of examinations or tests. I believe the educational benefits of examining the students' knowledge have more positive advantages than disadvantages. Students can discover their weak subjects and work on improving.. Moreover, they will also have the knowledge where they can enhance and progress their study.(<--I don't understand this sentence.)

Firstly, knowing the particular subject matter that they need to develop.(<--I don't understand this sentence. It needs to be justified.) For instance, mathematics is one of the most dreaded subject for many learners. The results of a test can help them to focus on areas they scored poorly on. Thus, testing can shape them up for a better overall result.

Secondly, being aware of their strong points.(<--I don't understand this sentence. It needs to be justified.) For example, a student who is good in science and have impressive score in the exam.(<--I don't understand this sentence.) Recognizing this will give them an idea for their future plans in further education. Therefore, it also sets right their goals in life.

In conclusion, there are more advantages than disadvantages in testing. Surely, the stress, anxiety and sleepless nights they spend worrying about tests are not enjoyable. But acquiring strong abilities and knowing where to focus their attention are very helpful in securing their future career.