Task 2 Essay:Celebrities and Charities (Requirement 8 Bands)

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
IndianHarry

Task 2 Essay:Celebrities and Charities (Requirement 8 Bands)

Post by IndianHarry »

Some people believe that when famous people support projects like international aid, it helps to draw attention to important problems. Others, however, think celebrities only make the problems less important. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

It has been a widely debated issue whether participation of famous people in welfare projects brings the much needed attention to the matters or just undermines the significance of the same. I feel more synchronized to the former assumption. However, viewpoints of both the sides will be analyzed in this essay.

To begin with the former view, people who hold this perception cite the interrelation between public awareness and the attraction factor that celebrities possess. These well-known people, they claim, have the power to draw masses into benevolent causes at the snap of a finger, a knack undoubtedly unique. Personally, I find this reasoning well-grounded as these projects survive through public attention, something, perhaps, no means other than celebrity participation can achieve.

In addition to this, these people also point out that celebrities, being rich as they are, also offer a level of monetary aid that a common man is not capable of. This financial help, they contend, in turn facilitates the spread of such projects through paid advertisement campaigns. I feel this argument, although slightly circuitous, does highlight the connection between celebrity participation and public awareness.

However, people who believe that famous people trivialize the issues suggest that celebrities’ only purpose to participate in these charitable events is to build a favorable public image. As such, they argue, their ill-intended activities actually take people’s attention off the cause itself. I do agree with the first part of the argument but have to say that the latter extrapolation is overreaching as people are usually as keen about the apparent causes celebrities are working for as they are about celebrities themselves.

To sum up, it is believed that celebrity intervention in welfare projects brings public attention through both fame-driven and pecuniary means while self-centered intentions of celebrities run the risk of harming the cause themselves. However, on balance, I reaffirm that famous personalities have largely positive effects on such projects.
Harry Singh Sra
Skype - harry.5abi
terry3218

Re: Task 2 Essay:Celebrities and Charities (Requirement 8 Ba

Post by terry3218 »

I'm no expert by any means but I think its a phenomenal essay and I hope you get the desired bands.

Anyways how and how much did you practice to get to a level where you can write such awe inspiring essays?
IndianHarry

Post by IndianHarry »

terry3218 wrote:I'm no expert by any means but I think its a phenomenal essay and I hope you get the desired bands.

Anyways how and how much did you practice to get to a level where you can write such awe inspiring essays?
First of all, thanks for the positivity :)

Well, I teach IELTS myself at a local institute here in India, and have to write task 2 essay samples at least every other day. This has been going for almost an year. That answers the how-much part I hope.

As for how, I've simply picked whatever I've felt good from online teachers like Ryan, Liz, Simon and some others as well. What I personally felt brought about an improvement in my essay writing skills was listening to debates on YouTube. I particularly find people like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Laurence Krauss very useful. In these interviews and debates, I carefully look for good phrases, words as well as ways to put forth arguments. I also keep transcripts of these people's interviews with me on my Kindle which I read during spare time during classes. I hope this answers the how part.
Harry Singh Sra
Skype - harry.5abi
terry3218

Post by terry3218 »

IndianHarry wrote:
terry3218 wrote:I'm no expert by any means but I think its a phenomenal essay and I hope you get the desired bands.

Well, I teach IELTS myself at a local institute here in India, and have to write task 2 essay samples at least every other day. This has been going for almost an year. That answers the how-much part I hope.

As for how, I've simply picked whatever I've felt good from online teachers like Ryan, Liz, Simon and some others as well. What I personally felt brought about an improvement in my essay writing skills was listening to debates on YouTube. I particularly find people like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Laurence Krauss very useful. In these interviews and debates, I carefully look for good phrases, words as well as ways to put forth arguments. I also keep transcripts of these people's interviews with me on my Kindle which I read during spare time during classes. I hope this answers the how part.
wow those are really some good insights as to how one can improve, thanks a lot. Since you teach IELTS do you think in an argument kind of essay, is it better to just discuss the side you agree with or should you discuss both sides like you have done ?
IndianHarry

Post by IndianHarry »

terry3218 wrote:
IndianHarry wrote:

wow those are really some good insights as to how one can improve, thanks a lot. Since you teach IELTS do you think in an argument kind of essay, is it better to just discuss the side you agree with or should you discuss both sides like you have done ?

I use a 5 paragraph structure which includes three body paragraphs. The first two body paragraphs are in favor of side I have taken. The third one begins with the counterargument that people levy against the same. But then I neutralize it with my opinion on that particular argument. This gives the essay a more thorough look.

Intro - Topic + thesis + Essay plan (3 sentences)

Body paragraph 1 - Agree (opinion)
Body Paragraph 2 - Agree (opinion)
Body Paragraph 3 - Disagree (discussion, 1 sentence) + Counterargument to Neutralize (2-3 sentences).

Last - Summary of 1st two paragraphs + Conclusion (2 sentences in total)
Harry Singh Sra
Skype - harry.5abi
terry3218

Post by terry3218 »

As for how, I've simply picked whatever I've felt good from online teachers like Ryan, Liz, Simon and some others as well. What I personally felt brought about an improvement in my essay writing skills was listening to debates on YouTube. I particularly find people like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Laurence Krauss very useful. In these interviews and debates, I carefully look for good phrases, words as well as ways to put forth arguments. I also keep transcripts of these people's interviews with me on my Kindle which I read during spare time during classes. I hope this answers the how part.[/quote]

wow those are really some good insights as to how one can improve, thanks a lot. Since you teach IELTS do you think in an argument kind of essay, is it better to just discuss the side you agree with or should you discuss both sides like you have done ?[/quote]

I use a 5 paragraph structure which includes three body paragraphs. The first two body paragraphs are in favor of side I have taken. The third one begins with the counterargument that people levy against the same. But then I neutralize it with my opinion on that particular argument. This gives the essay a more thorough look.

Intro - Topic + thesis + Essay plan (3 sentences)

Body paragraph 1 - Agree (opinion)
Body Paragraph 2 - Agree (opinion)
Body Paragraph 3 - Disagree (discussion, 1 sentence) + Counterargument to Neutralize (2-3 sentences).

Last - Summary of 1st two paragraphs + Conclusion (2 sentences in total)[/quote]

aha I see, thanks for the explanation. BTW do let me know when your ielts result comes out that how did you fare? I'm interested because I'm so inspired by your essays and approach, I'm also targeting 8 bands in writing this time, already having 7 in writing but I took that years ago.
cheers mate.
IndianHarry

Post by IndianHarry »

terry3218 wrote:First of all, thanks for the positivity :)

aha I see, thanks for the explanation. BTW do let me know when your ielts result comes out that how did you fare? I'm interested because I'm so inspired by your essays and approach, I'm also targeting 8 bands in writing this time, already having 7 in writing but I took that years ago.
cheers mate.
I will do.cheers.
Harry Singh Sra
Skype - harry.5abi
kamots89

Post by kamots89 »

If i were to write for those questions, these will be my structure

Introduction : 2-3 sentences = neutral, meaning no stand to either former and latter subjects

Paragraph 1: Contention 1 + Reason + example :Some people believe that when famous people support projects like international aid, it helps to draw attention to important problems

Paragraph 2 : Contention 2 + Reason + example: Others, however, think celebrities only make the problems less important

Conclusion : Summary + Your Stand.