Intelligent Person.mp3
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 216 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Please grade my first part 2 speaking

Post by lmoore »

Thank you for sharing your recording!

First, I wanted to say that, overall, your vocabulary was quite good throughout the recording. You were able to pinpoint "easy going," which is rather specific. A couple of times, you did not quite find the appropriate word, such as when you said, "from the topmost management." This sounds a bit too formal and somewhat awkward. Perhaps a better choice would have been "upper management." In addition, you used "intellectual" several times throughout the recording instead of "intelligent" and synonyms for this word like "clever," "smart," or "bright." Finally, it would have helped to clarify what you meant, exactly, when you said, "He acts according to the situation." I am guessing you mean that your friend "rolls with the punches," or "goes with the flow," meaning that he doesn't let difficult circumstances bother him.

Next, your speech was well organized in general, but I did not hear very many connecting/transition words (first, next, then, finally, in addition, moreover, furthermore, etc.) to help the listener move mentally from one topic to the next. You also did not clearly address why you think this person is intelligent. If I missed this part, I apologize.

Two areas that could also use some more work are pronunciation and grammar. I had a difficult time understanding your words a few times. You said, "uh" many times to try to gather your thoughts. You might try, "Let me think about that," or "I'm gathering my thoughts" instead. Here are some examples of grammatical mistakes that could be fixed: "best friend of me" (corrected: "best friend of mine," or "one of my best friends."); "discuss about" (corrected: just "discuss"). In the end, I did not notice too many glaring verb tense problems or sentence structure problems.