Candidly Critique my Speaking (No download Necessary)

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
Bhargav

Candidly Critique my Speaking (No download Necessary)

Post by Bhargav »

Dear All,

Please critique my speaking sample and post your response. I am eagerly awaiting your opinion to improve my speaking abilities. I am targeting Band 8 and above and I believe more efforts are required.

I have placed my sample within the post as per Ryan's helpful instructions and you simply have to click the 'Play' button within the audio player. Below are the Cue Card topic and my Response.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Bhargav

Cue Card
Describe a habit that is good for your health.
You should say:
  • Why you do it
  • Whether it is difficult or easy to do
  • Whether it requires self-discipline or not and finally explain
  • Why this habit is good for your health

Response
http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=786
Attachments
Cue card - Habit good for health.mp3
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 504 times
RonyM

Re: Candidly Critique my Speaking (No download Necessary)

Post by RonyM »

What do you mean by to be fresh as well as different
No need for "so" at the beginning of your answer
I spend ......running not to run
Running is not easy .....because it recharges your body ???? Not logic
To do running
Will not fail
Job in blood pressure is a vague expression you can say it has its postive effect on blood pressure
No coherence and very simple vocabulary
Good ideas
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Candidly Critique my Speaking (No download Necessary)

Post by lmoore »

Hello, Bhargav.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about running. You’re right that it can be done just about anywhere, and it doesn’t require much more than a pair of tennis shoes to do it.
Overall, I would say that one of your greatest strength is your answer’s coherence. You stuck to the main points, but you provided enough detail that the answer was interesting and long enough. You had a solid introduction and conclusion as well.
There were times that your pronunciation wasn’t too clear, but I would say that it is quite good for the most part.
You had some good vocabulary, with words like circulation and alternate. I would suggest another word for “sweating,” though, and that is “perspiring.” Other forms of the word include “perspire,” and “perspiration.”
Also, I would encourage you not to speak in the third person. Using “one” all the time is way too formal. Stick with the second person singular, “you.” It’s more conversational and friendly.
You have few, if any, problems with grammar. I heard you use a complex sentence at least once when you said, “In the long run, running improves. . .” This demonstrates a solid understanding of different types of sentence structure.
Additionally, you have a lot of “uh” sounds when you speak. Work on reducing them. They are inevitable in general conversation, granted, but you tend to say it often, and it is distracting at times.
Here are a couple of notes:
Or alternate day – days
-Every given day – on any given day
Best wishes as you continue to practice!