Speaking about a meeting

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
Ecro

Speaking about a meeting

Post by Ecro »

Part 2 - Describe a meeting you remember going to at work, college or school.
-When and where the meeting was held
-who was at the meeting
-what the people at the meeting talked about and explain why you remember going to this meeting.

Thank you for listening my speaking! I hope you're having a nice day!
Best,
Ecro
Attachments
Part 3.mp3
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 830 times
Part 2.mp3
(965.63 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
Part 1.mp3
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 734 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Speaking about a meeting

Post by lmoore »

For Part I

Hi, Ecro! Thanks for sharing your speech about flowers and the role that they play in your culture.
First, let me say that you’re quite fluent. You don’t seem to be nervous or to have any difficulty finding the words that you want to say. You are easy to understand for the most part as well.
Regarding pronunciation, I would encourage you to really work on not “rolling” the /r/ sound. This happens when your tongue vibrates on the alveolar ridge on the roof of your mouth when you say this sound. Also, I’d suggest that you work on the short /a/ and the long /a/ sounds. You should exaggerate them more.
You have nice organization and coherence. It’s easy to tell how the parts of your answer are connected. I heard a good summary at the end of the answer. I would encourage you to use introductory statements and connectors, such as “additionally,” etc. more often to further improve your answers’ coherence.
The vocabulary you use throughout the answers seems to be on par with an average answer. Perhaps you can work on throwing in one or two more higher-level vocabulary words by studying synonyms of words you know and use all the time to further increase your points for vocabulary.
I didn’t hear too many grammar problems, but I did hear this:
That’s why I didn’t put any of them there.
Use DON’T because it’s the present tense – a habit. This was when you were talking about putting flowers in your home on a regular basis.
Thanks for sharing!
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

For Part II

Good pronunciation of “interesting” without rolling /r/ or saying “in ter es ting,” but “in tris ting” instead.
Hello, again! This recording had a good introduction. It was better than what you used in Part I. The conclusion was also nice.
Your pronunciation of the /r/ sound could still use work in this recording, but I noticed that you said “interesting” like a native speaker. You said, “in tris ting,” instead of “in ter es ting.” You didn’t roll any /r/ sounds in this word, either. Watch out for the /k/ sound at the end of “break” because it sounds like you’re saying “breaG” You are saying the /g/ sound with a vibration in your throat instead of the /k/ sound, which does not use your vocal cords at all.
The coherence of this recording was good. I already mentioned the nice introduction and conclusion. However, you spent a bit too long, in my opinion, talking about when the meeting was. I know that that was one of the questions, but spending that long trying to remember when detracts from the substance of the rest of the questions you have to answer.
Best wishes as you continue to practice!
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

In this recording, I noticed a stronger use of vocabulary: classify, categories, catch up, tedious. You were able to use higher-level words as well as slang phrasal verbs. This indicates a high level of comfort with speaking in English.
On the other hand, you said the word “important” several times. This indicates that you may not have synonyms for “important,” which is a commonly-used word in English.
I liked how you categorized meetings into two groups and used this to organize your entire answer, despite answering different questions about meetings.
You mentioned that you enjoy business meetings and that many people find them tedious. You never said why you enjoy them so much. That would be an important element to address in your answer.
As usual, your grammar was quite good. I did notice that you said, “in the last weeks, months, years,” when it would have been more appropriate to say, “in the last SEVERAL weeks, months, years.”
Ecro

Post by Ecro »

lmoore wrote:In this recording, I noticed a stronger use of vocabulary: classify, categories, catch up, tedious. You were able to use higher-level words as well as slang phrasal verbs. This indicates a high level of comfort with speaking in English.
On the other hand, you said the word “important” several times. This indicates that you may not have synonyms for “important,” which is a commonly-used word in English.
I liked how you categorized meetings into two groups and used this to organize your entire answer, despite answering different questions about meetings.
You mentioned that you enjoy business meetings and that many people find them tedious. You never said why you enjoy them so much. That would be an important element to address in your answer.
As usual, your grammar was quite good. I did notice that you said, “in the last weeks, months, years,” when it would have been more appropriate to say, “in the last SEVERAL weeks, months, years.”
Hello Immore,

Thank you for replying and giving me guidelines on what I should improve.
I'll definitely try to use more high-level words when I practice my speaking.
Also, thank you for pointing out where I can improve my pronunciation, it helped me a lot, and now I can work on it.

Have a great day!
Best,
Ecro