one person loves traveling by flight.mp3
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 763 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Part2-Talking about one person who loves traveling by plane

Post by lmoore »

Hi, jennylfm!

Thank you for sharing these stories about Jack and how much he enjoys flying. It seems as if he has traveled more than I have!
First, let me say that I liked how you used a lot of transition and introductory phrases in your speech. It helped build the answers’ coherence and made your speech easier to understand. I didn’t hear much of a conclusion, however. The speech ended rather abruptly, and there wasn’t a clean ending to it.
Your vocabulary didn’t signify that you have a broad and deep vocabulary range. The words you used were rather basic. I would encourage you to work on building your vocabulary by learning synonyms and figures of speech.
Grammar is an area in which you should focus your studies. For example, you often did not use the right past tense form of the verb or used present tense when you should have used past tense.
When you talked, it was easy to tell that you were either reading the answers or that you had it memorized. It didn’t sound conversational or natural at all. Remember that you can’t be sure of what question you will get in the interview, so there isn’t much point memorizing an answer. You want to practice giving answers that are quick and conversational in nature.
Here are some other notes:

I meet Jack – met
Flied – flew
Jack like to go out – Jack LIKES
Jack have been to – HAS been to
Good connectors – in my point of view
In comparison – You said in comparishun, or something like that. Watch pronunciation.
I will meet with him there – I will meet him there

Best wishes as you continue to practice!
jennylfm

Post by jennylfm »

Hi Imoore,

Thanks for your great feedbacks, they are really helpful.

I did not memorise the answers. I guess that it was because that I recorded for several times for same topic. so you had the feeling that I memorised the answers.

Vocabularies, they are my big weaknesses for speaking. During reading, i am able to use a wide range of vocabularies. However, during speaking, my vocabularies are so limited and basic. Do you have any suggestions about this?

For Grammar, I need to pay much attention it during my following practices.

Thanks for your effort to listen my speaking and give me feedbacks.

I will post more later.

Thanks,
Jenny
Cliff.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by Cliff.IELTS.Examiner »

This speech would likely get you overall a 6.0 in the IELTS test. You are able to keep talking for long periods, but you don't meet the band 7 criterion of being able to speak without noticeable effort. Your lexical resources also do not show enough idioms or uncommon words to make 7. Your grammar is better. You show a range of sentence structures, with some errors, but with many correct sentences. You might get a seven for that. Pronunciation is the big loser. To make 6 you have to show generally correct "chunking", which means running groups of words smoothly together to make units of meaning. You separate each word with a slight pause and this breaks up your spoken rythmn. Since this means you don't meet all the band 6 criteria, your band for pronunciation falls to 5.

It is of course impossible to accurately assess your speaking based on one sample, and it might be that you make a better impression in part 1 of the test. Based only on this sample your speech rates at 6-6-7-5
jennylfm

Post by jennylfm »

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for your assessment for my speaking. Currently, i practice with one girl who comes from Vietmin regularly. we adopt mock up examination style. Until now, we have practiced about two months, however, i cannot feel any improvements for speaking.

Do you have any suggestions about how to make it better? I need at least seven for my speaking.

Thanks again.

Thanks,
Jenny
Cliff.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by Cliff.IELTS.Examiner »

You need to achieve higher levels of confidence and fluency. There's no quick way to do this of course, but it's partly a matter of "feeling" the language, of getting more sympathy with the tone and rhythm. Look at the BBC "flatmates" and imitate the actors. Listen to some good speeches from politicians and actors, or download the script from "Friends" which has lots of good natural-sounding colloquial English. Make it fun. Maybe you could could act out some scenes with friends. Become an actor. Good luck!