Describe a piece of electronic equipment that you find useful.

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
Ecro

Describe a piece of electronic equipment that you find useful.

Post by Ecro »

Part 1:
-How do you usually travel to work or college?
-Have you always travelled to work or college the same way?[Why or why not?]
-What do you like about travelling to work/college that way?
-What changes could improve the way you travel to work/college?
Part 2:
-What it is
-How you learnt to use it
-explain why you find this piece of electronic equipment useful.
Attachments
Part1.mp3
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 703 times
Part2.mp3
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 682 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Describe a piece of electronic equipment that you find useful.

Post by lmoore »

Hello, Ecro.

Thanks for sharing your recordings for parts I and II. Here are some thoughts.

First, let me say that you are quite fluent. You obviously have a good mastery of vocabulary and grammar. You're confident in your speech, and you have good organization. I thought your introductions, ability to answer questions directly, and your connecting/transition phrases were particularly good.

Here are a few points to keep in mind:
1.) Your main area of weakness is pronunciation. While you are able to speak quickly, you speak so quickly that your pronunciation difficulties are more pronounced (easier to notice). I would encourage you to slow down and really concentrate on pronouncing individual sounds and words correctly. Speaking so quickly also makes your answers too short.
2.) You "roll" the /r/ sound, which is not a sound that is made in English.
3.) Your /v/ sound is either not clear or non-existent, as in "have" when it sounds like you say "hef."
4.) Your short /a/ sound needs to be stronger. Again, in the word "have," you want to avoid saying "hef" with a short /e/ sound. Open your mouth up taller when you make the short /a/ sound, and don't pull your lips back into a smile as you do when you say the short /e/ sound.
5.) Watch the /s/ sound at the end of words. Sometimes it sounds like you're saying /z/, as it did once or twice when you said "buzz" instead of "bus."
6.) When you said "tenth" grade, you dropped the /th/ sound. Make sure to get your tongue between your teeth when you say this sound.
7.) You sometimes drop articles, as you did when you said "to make them little better." This should have been "A little better."
8.) The word "solder" is pronounced with a short /o/, not a long /o/. It sounds like you're trying to say "soldier."

Best wishes as you continue to practice!
Ecro

Re: Describe a piece of electronic equipment that you find useful.

Post by Ecro »

lmoore wrote:Hello, Ecro.

Thanks for sharing your recordings for parts I and II. Here are some thoughts.

First, let me say that you are quite fluent. You obviously have a good mastery of vocabulary and grammar. You're confident in your speech, and you have good organization. I thought your introductions, ability to answer questions directly, and your connecting/transition phrases were particularly good.

Here are a few points to keep in mind:
1.) Your main area of weakness is pronunciation. While you are able to speak quickly, you speak so quickly that your pronunciation difficulties are more pronounced (easier to notice). I would encourage you to slow down and really concentrate on pronouncing individual sounds and words correctly. Speaking so quickly also makes your answers too short.
2.) You "roll" the /r/ sound, which is not a sound that is made in English.
3.) Your /v/ sound is either not clear or non-existent, as in "have" when it sounds like you say "hef."
4.) Your short /a/ sound needs to be stronger. Again, in the word "have," you want to avoid saying "hef" with a short /e/ sound. Open your mouth up taller when you make the short /a/ sound, and don't pull your lips back into a smile as you do when you say the short /e/ sound.
5.) Watch the /s/ sound at the end of words. Sometimes it sounds like you're saying /z/, as it did once or twice when you said "buzz" instead of "bus."
6.) When you said "tenth" grade, you dropped the /th/ sound. Make sure to get your tongue between your teeth when you say this sound.
7.) You sometimes drop articles, as you did when you said "to make them little better." This should have been "A little better."
8.) The word "solder" is pronounced with a short /o/, not a long /o/. It sounds like you're trying to say "soldier."

Best wishes as you continue to practice!

Thank you for all the things you've pointed out. I'll keep them in mind as I continue to practice.