tuan speak.mp3
(10.66 MiB) Downloaded 519 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: pratice test with my cousin, test on 24th October

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Thanh,

Thanks for sharing your experience at your favorite restaurant. It sounds like a nice place to go to eat.
First, I like how detailed you were. You gave a good description of the restaurant without making your answer go off topic or become too long. Additionally, your answer started with a good introduction, letting the listener know what you were going to discuss. I heard some good vocabulary, like “soft music,” but it was difficult to hear many of the words you used because of the quality of the recording. I don’t really have a good idea of how good your vocabulary is as a result.
You spoke quite fluently, as far as your rate of speech goes. You were able to express your thoughts in a conversational manner without too many pauses. You knew what you wanted to say, and you had the vocabulary to express it.
There were some grammar issues, but, again, I can’t pinpoint as many as I’d like to because of the recording quality. I did hear you say “help customer to relax” when you should have said “customers.” I also heard “once per two weeks.” This is correct to say, but it is more common to say, “once every two weeks.”
The greatest area in need of improvement is your pronunciation. It was difficult to understand you at times, even though the recording itself was poor. For example, when you say the /th/ sound, it regularly comes out as /z/. Also, when you say, “hamburger,” make sure to say the /r/ sound in “burger.
Best wishes as you continue to practice!
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: pratice test with my cousin, test on 24th October

Post by lmoore »

My apologies! I meant to post this where you speak about your favorite restaurant!

Here are some thoughts about this recording. The speaker is quite fluent, and he is able to use many figures of speech and expressions well, such as "lame" and "chill out." Vocabulary is quite good in general as well. I heard "enormous," "addictive," and more. One word that wasn't used correctly was "reputated." This isn't a word. It should be "reputable."

The speaker asks for clarification and uses good introductory phrases and transitions. I heard, "from my point of view," and "furthermore," for example. I also heard, "like I said," which helps the listener remember what was said before.

Pronunciation was quite clear, but the speaker should pay attention to the letter /r/ and say it more clearly.

Here are some other notes, mostly on grammar:
--football games is - ARE
--it very addictive - IT'S addictive
--you won't get out of there - you won't be able to get away from it
--it is really near my house - CLOSE TO my house or it's near my house without "really"
--every daily stuff - things we need on a daily basis/everyday products
--I don't think it's really enormous market - AN enormous market
--buy their stuffs - STUFF is a non-count noun, so no S at the end
--every people - everyone/everybody/every person
--the quality is never always good - NEVER good
from my point of view

Best wishes as you continue to practice!