Describe a vacation

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
tafazzul1414

Describe a vacation

Post by tafazzul1414 »

Please assess the speaking of my cousin and me and give us a band.
Also share areas of improvement if you have patience :P
Attachments
TAFAZZUL.mp3
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 456 times
ARSHAD.mp3
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 414 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Describe a vacation

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Tafazzul,
Thanks for sharing your recording! I listened to about the first five minutes of it, and here are some thoughts and notes that I hope can help you improve. First, let me say that you’re quite fluent and you seem comfortable answering IELTS questions on a variety of topics.
Regarding organization, you could probably use some more introductions, transitions, and conclusions to make your answers flow a bit better. While you did answer the questions directly, which is good, having these three components added to your answers would help with the answers’ overall cohesiveness.
Your overall rate of speech is fast, but it often impedes the listener’s ability to understand you. You speak in a very staccato way, meaning that your words do not flow together naturally as they should. You might consider studying word linking to help your English pronunciation be clearer.
Vocabulary is an area which you could improve by learning some synonyms as well. I heard you use “good” and “pleasing.” While “pleasing” is a step up from “good,” you said “good” twice within just a few seconds of each other. Practice synonyms in your everyday conversations in English to help you get used to using them properly.
Here are some grammar and usage notes:
--Travel to locations which are included in this job – Do you mean “travel to various locations for work”?
--Most perfect sport to me – the best sport to me – While your usage of “most perfect” is correct, it sounds too formal.
--Cricket is played vastly here in India – Cricket is played widely here in India.
--gain a lot of physical fitness – People become more physically fit.
--The vacation I went and found very enjoyable – The vacation destination we found was very enjoyable.
--Health station – health resort
Best wishes as you continue to practice!
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Arshad,
Thank you for sharing your recording. I also listened to about five minutes of your recording.
First, let me say that you have a great vocabulary range, so that is a major plus for you going into the IELTS interview.
Here are some other notes:
You often sound very formal in your answers. It sounded at the beginning as if you were reading your answers, which is too formal for this situation. Remember that the interviewer wants to know if you can create English conversation on the fly (without planning it too much). While your overall rate of speech is fast, it is sometimes so fast that the listener cannot understand your answer’s content, such as when I had trouble understanding the part about super stars when you talked about cricket.
I would also encourage you to slow down and work on word linking to make your speech sound more natural and less forced. You roll your /r/ sounds, which is not a sound in English. For example, when you say, “drug,” it comes out “drrrrug.”
Also, consider adding transitions, introductions, and conclusions to your answers. This will help improve your speech’s coherence.
Here are some other notes:
--Analyze the drug to which quality, purity, and strength – Analyze DRUGS FOR quality, purity, and strength.
--My interest of my job is the quality assurance job in which I gain more knowledge and I have a better scoping in the future. – My main interest in my job is that part in which I am able to conduct quality assurance tests. This allows me to gain more knowledge (about what?) and have a better understanding of the future (What did you mean by “scoping of the future?).
My preference is also for cricket. – This is grammatically correct, but it’s way too formal sounding for this setting. Try, “I prefer cricket,” or “I like cricket better.”
Best wishes as you continue to practice?
tafazzul1414

Post by tafazzul1414 »

Hey lmoore!!

We are glad to have our speaking assessed and thank you so much for the feedback. We sure will practice alot as we both require band 7 in speaking(:D). There were many flaws in our speech reported by you which we will try to avoid one by one if not all at once.

Thank you so much,
All the best !!