My second speech

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
asadurk

My second speech

Post by asadurk »

It is my second speech. My IELTS speaking test is on day after tomorrow. Is this speech worth for 6.5 bands ?
Attachments
speech.mp3
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 466 times
Paul Davey

Re: My second speech

Post by Paul Davey »

Don't say, discuss about. Just say, discuss something.
I got lost and didn't know what you were talking about, sorry.
You need to structure your speech. Use signposts and linking words to connect the ideas. This is called cohesion.
First, let me tell you about ...
Next, I'm going to mention the ...
Moving on to the ...
And finally, ...
If you lack cohesion, your speech will not be coherent (it won't make sense).
It sounds like you are just rambling and all the parts don't match up in any kind of logical order. Pause at the end of one idea. Begin the next idea with a linking word and a signpost.
Your accent is very strong and sometimes I couldn't catch the words. (Pronunciation is one of the criteria in the Speaking Module)
Anyway, it's not bad. But I'm not sure whether you are quite up to a 6.5
Paul
Independent, qualified IELTS Tutor https://ieltsintaiwan.wordpress.com/
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: My second speech

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Asadurk,

First, thanks for sharing your recording with us. While I understand that you have already completed your IELTS test, I would like to add on to what Paul offered you in his comments. I agree with his assessment of your need to use signposts to structure your speech. I got lost in your speech as well, and I wasn’t sure of what question you were trying to answer. Also, Paul was correct in offering you the suggestion to work on pronunciation as I, too, had a difficult time understanding what you were saying much of the time.

Here are some other, more specific notes:
--When I competing with them – when I WAS competing with them
--Engineer – didn’t pronounce soft /g/ sound. The word is said as “enjineer,” not “enyineer.”
--Pursue my career as a teaching – pursue my career as a TEACHER
--I also got admission at master’s at that time – I also gained admission to a master’s program at that time
--There were five developer before me – DEVELOPERS
--He had a good feeling for me – He held me in high regard. / He liked me.

I would encourage you to study some more grammar and to focus on remembering basic rules like subject/verb agreement.

Best wishes as you continue to practice!