my first speech

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
asadurk

my first speech

Post by asadurk »

This is my first speech. I know it's very bad but I need advice to improve my speaking skills to get 7 bands.
Please also tell me, can I get 6 band from this speech.
Attachments
intro 3.mp3
(750.27 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
asadurk

Re: my first speech

Post by asadurk »

Sorry, I forgot to send the topic... Topic is

Describe a beautiful place you once visited. You should say:

when you went to this place
where it was
who you went with
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: my first speech

Post by lmoore »

Hello, Asadurk,

First, let me say thanks for sharing your recording. Doing so is one of the best ways to improve your speaking.

I can tell that you’re comfortable enough with English to speak quickly, but your speech was not very clear. Part of this was due to the recording, but much of it can be attributed to the fact that your pronunciation and overall oral fluency needs some work to be more understandable to native speakers. I would suggest that you slow your speech down significantly and focus on enunciating your sounds more clearly.
I did hear the work “breath-taking,” which indicates that you have at least an intermediate vocabulary level. Work on improving your vocabulary by learning synonyms for common words that you find you use in your IELTS speaking practice.
I was unable to make out much of your speech, but I did hear the mistake “China border.” You should use “Chinese border” here since you want to describe the border with an adjective. You also said “me and my friend,” when you should have said “my friend and I” since the pronouns you want are subject pronouns, not object pronouns.
It also sounded like you read your speech. I would really discourage you from practicing speaking this way. The IELTS interview is conversational in nature, and if you rehearse everything, you will not make as good an impression on the interviewer as you might if you simply practice making some talking points and then speaking about them conversationally.
Also, use an introduction, transition words (first, next, also, additionally, etc.), and a conclusion to help the listener follow your speech better.
Best wishes as you continue to practice!