Feedback needed for my speaking. Thanks, friends.

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
kami

Feedback needed for my speaking. Thanks, friends.

Post by kami »

A broken equipment
Describe a piece of broken equipment [computer, dishwasher, fridge].
You should say
1. What the equipment is,
2. When and where it was bought,
3. What were the features of the equipment.
4. Explain why it was broken
http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=556
Attachments
A broken equipment.mp3
(925.71 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
IELTSexaminer70

Re: Feedback needed for my speaking. Thanks, friends.

Post by IELTSexaminer70 »

Hi

Can I ask? Are you reading this or is this natural?

To me it feels like you are reading so it is not natural. Try again but not reading and don't worry if it is not perfect!

There is some really good vocabulary and excellent grammar structures but it is not very fluent.

You need to use more natural expression linkers and fillers like 'erm...well...anyway' etc

Finally you need to work on your sentence pronunciation/sentence stress as well as individual word pronunciation.

This is a low level lesson but you can listen to native speakers and practice some pronunciation towards the end of the lesson. More will be added each week...

https://my-iteacher.com/free-english-le ... ons-place/

Good luck
:)
IELTS examiner
My-iteacher.com
The IELTS experts
kami

Post by kami »

Hello teacher:

Your feedback is quite important for me. Thanks a lot.

I will practice more for adding more discourse markers, and make it more natural. But I have a difficult to clearly locating the 2 problems of pronunciation you pointed out.

I always feel that I have nothing to say when sitting the test. So I tried to develop the ideas of these topics before hand. This topic of broken equipment was not read by me. I searched the ideas in my head, and expressed them.

Plus, dear teacher, could you help me point out some specific sentence pronunciation/sentence stress and individual word pronunciation problem examples in my this recording? You know, I had the same pronunciation problem pointed out by other teachers as you did here. But it's too vague for me to have to a clear idea. I need a format feedback like the following, and this will greatly help me figure out my problem and overcome it.

like.
1.the time in the audio 2.your word or sentence 3.your stress or pronunciation 4.the correct stress or pronunciation

1.00:05-00:18
2.This precious watch was given to my mom by my grandpa as her wedding gift, 2. which they bought in a department store when my mother was 24 years old.
3. your stress is on blah, blah (incorrect)
4. the correct stress is on blah, blah (correct)

1.00:11
2. the word "department"
3. your word stress is on blah, blah (incorrect)
4. the correct stress is on the second syllable.

I know it will surely burden you. But it will help me tremendously. I will be thankful. Please give some concrete examples. Many thanks.

I am urgently waiting your reply.
IELTSexaminer70

Post by IELTSexaminer70 »

Kami

Wow, you ask a lot :) ...and we all have limited time :(

This is very difficult to do by text and much better to do face to face or by Skype etc. This is something that our IELTS experts do on the my-iteacher.com course. You do a complete IELTS test and then the Expert Teacher will give you feedback on your errors, including pronunciation.

If you were at our school here in Leeds in the UK our teachers could certainly work with your pronunciation but it takes time and practice. Are you attending an IELTS school? Can you ask your teachers for some one to one help?

But failing that I would need to make a recording to give you feedback after studying your answer carefully. I am not sure I have the time but if I do, I will try.

Can I ask where you are from and what you are taking IELTS for?

regards
IELTS examiner
My-iteacher.com
The IELTS experts
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Kami,
Thanks for sharing about the incident with the watch. I think your mom understands that you were just a child when this happened, so hopefully you don’t have to worry about repaying her for breaking it. 
Agreeing with the assessment previously done, I would say that you really need to concentrate on your pronunciation, particularly the letters R and S. Also, the “a” sound in the word watch should sound more like a short “o,” like in “hot.” Word stress and sentence intonation are also areas in which you can improve, as you know. For example, don’t overdo the “o” in “mother.” It should sound more like “muther.” Also, when you said “department STORE,” you should emphasize “department” instead. This is a set phrase in English, and we usually emphasize the first word in such a phrase. Additionally, the word “compensate” is pronounced “COMPensate,” not “comPENsate,” as you said it.
Here are some other notes:
--Was at 24 years old / at age of 6 – when my mother was 24 years old / at the age of 6, or when I was six
--You have some nice vocabulary: implies, enabled, compensate
--Cracked this worthless watch down for the curiosity when I was at the age of 6 – threw this worthless (Was it really worthless? I thought it was a Swiss watch that cost a bit of money.) because I was curious when I was six / at the age of 6
--Work on adding a conclusion to the tale, such as whether your mom ever let you compensate her for the watch.
--As mentioned by the other reviewer, make sure that you don’t read your answer. It is best to practice answering these questions in a conversational style, whether you make mistakes or not.

Best wishes as you continue to practice!
kami

Post by kami »

Thanks, Imoore and IELTSexaminer70. Your feedbacks help me tremendously.

Regarding IELTSexaminer70, I am currently a post graduate student from China, and planning to use IELTS score to apply for a joint research program in the UK.

As for Imoore, I value your response so much, and listened to my audio script again. After that, I do realize these problems. Thanks a lot. That's splendid.

And I practiced several times, trying to correct these errors. If you have the time, you may help me check whether I did these pronunciations rightly this time.

watch
http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=568

mother
http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=567

department store
http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=569

compensate
http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=566
Attachments
watch.mp3
(12.24 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
mother.mp3
(9.39 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
compensate.mp3
(37.55 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Last edited by kami on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kami

Post by kami »

This post is for the extra audio script.
Attachments
department store.mp3
(55.51 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

The words sound good, but be careful with "department store." When you say "department," it almost sounds like you're adding an extra syllable in the middle. You want to let the "t" in the middle kind of "hang;" you don't really even say it. You make the /r/ sound kind of short and then go right into the "ment."
rzz

Post by rzz »

Well nice effort.

But seems you learnt it by remembering hard. better to be natural and smooth .. be relax . dont be very robotic .. otherwise i found your effort great.
laise

Post by laise »

Hello,
Any ideas what to buy the man who has everything????

:(
saqibali

Post by saqibali »

I recommend if you break small sentences and take pauses, it will help a lot.
Limited free classes and unlimited best IELTS material at below link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/IELTS-No ... 3123916148