NEED HELP ON ESTIMATED BAND SCORE/ speaking fluency

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
Fenobus

NEED HELP ON ESTIMATED BAND SCORE/ speaking fluency

Post by Fenobus »

Hi everyone, I'm Fe-eze from Nigeria and i'm taking the IELTS this week. I would like to know how good this speech would be graded in an exam. I used a cue card from one of the posts I saw on this site. Any critiques and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :D

Cue Card

Talk about a job that is important in your country. Please say

- What job is it?
- Who can work in this job?
- What skills are necessary for doing it?

download/file.php?id=550
Attachments
myRecording_software.mp3
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 492 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: NEED HELP ON ESTIMATED BAND SCORE/ speaking fluency

Post by lmoore »

Hello, Fenobus. Thanks for sharing your recording with us!
First, I’d like to say that I am going to assume you have been learning English from a young age, as Nigeria is a country where the language is widely spoken, in addition to many others. So you obviously have an advantage over many other students.
Your organization, vocabulary, and grammar were fine. I wouldn’t worry about them too much. I would encourage you not to say, “be it for. . .” repeatedly. Just once is enough for the nouns that follow it.
One area to consider working on is your overall pronunciation. You are speaking with the accent of your country. That is perfectly fine. What you might think about, however, is slowing down just for the sake of the English speakers who listen to you. I lived in Glasgow in Scotland for a year, and although the wonderful people there spoke English, I could not understand a lot of what they said to me simply because the English was different -- not worse, just different. I know that the same is true when I speak to people from other English speaking countries as an American.
You might also use more transitions to organize your speech even more. It would help to make it clearer, more concise (which would give you the chance to slow down some and help with pronunciation).
Best regards, and best wishes on your exam!