ielts7 wrote:http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=547

please listen to my speaking practice and let me know my problems. Thanks

band 6.5
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Please criticise my speaking, need 7

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Ielts 7. Thanks for sharing your recording with us! I think libraries are the most amazing institution in the world, so I loved listening to your speech.
Here are some thoughts. First, your speech sounds very memorized or like you were reading it. I understand the need to write down a speech, but it doesn’t sound very conversational. Your goal at the IELTS interview is to sound conversational and relaxed, not like you’re reading from a movie script.
Your pronunciation is quite clear, overall, but I would encourage you to work on the /r/ sound at the end of words, like “year,” as you seem to drop them or to add them when they are not there, as you did in the word “video.” Also, the /th/ sound can be a bit troublesome. At one point, I heard you say, “sink” instead of “think.” Additionally, work on the short /u/ sound, as in “study.” When you said this word, it sounded like you said, “stody” with a short /o/. Finally, when you said, “tempted,” you dropped the “-ed” sound, so it sounded like you were speaking in the present instead of the past tense.
I like that you used the transition phrase “in contrast.” I would have liked to have heard more, though. I didn’t have your cue card information, so I really don’t know what you were supposed to be covering. As such, it was hard for me to tell exactly what the topic was you answered and the different points you were supposed to cover. A stronger introduction that discussed the nature of the question would have been helpful. Additionally, you need a conclusion to your speech to wrap it up.
One grammar point I noticed was that you said, “I can access to online academic journals.” This should have been, “I can access online. . .” or “I have access to online. . .”
Regarding vocabulary, you used some higher-level phrases like “in contrast” and words like “access.” Keep working on building your knowledge of synonyms to common words so that you can increase your vocabulary even more.
Best wishes as you continue to practice!