Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
terry3218

Is this a band 8 speech?

Post by terry3218 »

Cue Card

Talk about a job that is important in your country. Please say

- What job is it?
- Who can work in this job?
- What skills are necessary for doing it?

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/fi ... 7a48d08354
Attachments
recording-20150518-235220.mp3
(4.49 MiB) Downloaded 881 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Is this a band 8 speech?

Post by lmoore »

Hello, Terry3218.

Thanks for sharing your recording. While I cannot comment on whether this is a band 8 speech, I will say the following:
1.) You have a nice introduction. You went from general to specific, but you didn’t waste much time on it. You got to the point of answering the questions right away.
2.) The job of audit – the job of an auditor, the job of auditing
3.) Vocabulary – Great. I heard these words used well: Conform, myriad of, fastidious
4.) Pronunciation – Very easy to understand. However, watch the pronunciation of these:
-/th/ sound – At one point, you said “tings” instead of “things.” Make sure your tongue is between your teeth when you say this sound.
-Watch the pronunciation of short “o,” as in the word “hot.” At one point, it sounded as if you said the long “o” sound, like in “hope.”
5.) Few of those are – A few of those are – Don’t forget the article in front of this phrase.
6.) Nice job explaining briefly after you mentioned the individual skills. Use some transition words to introduce the explanations, like, “for instance.”
7.) You need a conclusion. It was like you didn’t finish listing the skills, and then there was no summary, nothing that leaves the reader thinking about the topic after you finish. The speech was left a bit short. Your organization and coherency scores would probably suffer because of this.

Best wishes as you continue to practice!
terry3218

Post by terry3218 »

Thanks a bazillion, I will keep those points in mind while practicing especially about conclusion and pronunciation.
abolik

Post by abolik »

Language:

- Grammar, Vocabulary and pronunciation is very good
- fluency is not as good as others. You Sacrifice the fluency for others.
- more natural speech flow is required.
- release stress to avoid bad first impression

I believe it is easy for you to get band 8 if you slightly work on your weakness ... good luck
L R W S
IELTS 1: 6.5 6.5 6.5 8
IELTS 2: 7.5 6.5 6.5 7.5
IELTS 3: 8 6.5 6.5 6.5
IELTS 4: 6 7 6 7
IELTS 5: 7.5 7 6 7
mickeytea

Post by mickeytea »

Hi! I've only recently started preparing for the IELTS myself and just joined this forum yesterday. Just thought I'd drop a quick comment :D

I think you should try being less squeeze-ey in your speech. The way you can do this is by letting it resonate more in your mouth. This mouth resonance will relax the tightness in your speech in will most likely also make it deeper (it's called chest voice and you can simultaneously place your hands on the top of your head and chest to feel it). The tightness comes when the air flow is directly mostly through your nose (head voice). You can shift to mouth resonance by relaxing your larynx, try to recreate the high-palate position of a yawn.

Otherwise, I think this is great. I wish you the best!
terry3218

Post by terry3218 »

thanks for the suggestions. I can understand why my voice sounds stressful and fluency suffers, It's because of I was trying to fit in a large speech in 2 minutes. So I'll try to relax a bit more next time.