My first attempt at speaking (please review)

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
kweni16

My first attempt at speaking (please review)

Post by kweni16 »

Hi guys! Here's my first attempt at speaking. Please give your honest opinions and comments.
Here's the first set of questions I answered:
Here's my recording answer, I apologize for the poor quality of sound.
Listening Part1.mp3
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 440 times
For enjoyable and informative reading, visit 5Archive
Ryan

Re: My first attempt at speaking (please review)

Post by Ryan »

Hi Kweni,

Please excuse the delay on this.

I'm going to assume that you didn't make any notes before delivering this monologue. I'm assuming the only thing you are looking at is the list of questions you have posted.

If the above is true and you are responding to the questions on the spot without any prompt, I would say your speaking is very polished. You speak at a comfortable pace and this makes you easy to understand. The pauses you utilize in your speaking are natural sounding. I feel you use fitting vocabulary and colloquialisms with ease, and I'm sure your examiner is also going to pick up on this. Your pronunciation is very good.

There are a few areas in need of modest grammatical improvement, but these are minor and do not cause any incoherence. Just so that you know:

-"It's been built by the Spanish..." (In reference to a completed action, so this should be in the simple past tense.)
-"I lived there with my mom ever since." (Because you are referring to something that has continued from a set point in time, this would be: "I have lived there ever since.")

I really do not feel you will need to worry on the exam. Although this is only Part 1, I feel your fluency would likely carry over quite naturally into the other parts. I wouldn't be surprised to see you score band 8 for speaking.

Good luck. Thank you for sharing this attempt here! :)
kweni16

Post by kweni16 »

Wow how did you know that I was just reading and not writing down notes? Are you a psychic? Hahaha just kidding but thanks for the feedback. The errors you pointed out made perfect sense thanks for that too. I didn't know I could write down notes or anything like that. I thought it would be like the examiner would ask then I should answer right away. I'll be reading more on the exam rules if that's the case.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

H kweni,

So you were reading? I thought I could hear a bit of that in the response. This would not be allowed in the exam. You cannot use any kind of prompt during the exam except in Part 2, where you are given one minute to write notes in preparation for your monologue. You may use your notes and the cue card as you deliver your response to the examiner.

Good luck!
kweni16

Post by kweni16 »

Umm yeah I was. But thanks for the heads up! Tips noted!