11 JAN 2014 | MELBOURNE

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
robdrake

11 JAN 2014 | MELBOURNE

Post by robdrake »

PS: These are not the exact words of the question, but the gists from my memory.

Writing part 1:

Write a letter to a friend
1) describe a book.
2) describe why your friend would like it.
3) describe how he/she can obtain it

Writing part 2:
Some parents believe that we should control the freedom of the children. While some people believe otherwise. Discuss both views and give my own opinion.

----------

Speaking part 2/3: (i will list the memorable ones)

Describe your hardest decision making
Why is it difficult
How you resolved it

Are there any distinct difficulty in decision making between children and adults, what are they?
Should school integrate / emphasise lessons about decision making? how and why?
robdrake

Re: 11 JAN 2014 | MELBOURNE

Post by robdrake »

interesting note -

the exam i took during this day was an interesting one. i had a terrible experience during listening module.

while the tape was playing in the second segment, a student sat beside me started whispering and pestering me for answers. an invigilator suddenly appeared and warned the student not to talk and told me not to show him my answers to him.

this incident occurred while the tape was playing, as a result i lost focus and did not grasp any content from the tape, i was unable to answer properly on the second segment. i was very frustrated and afraid this negative thoughts would linger the rest of exams, luckily it dint. i feel somewhat confident in reading and writing.

fast forward after the exams, i immediately went to an invigilator and told them the incident in listening module. i was disadvantaged because of it, hopefully they will allow me to resit for the listening module.

will keep you guys updated with the outcome.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi robdrake,

Thank you for sharing your experience and questions. I'm sorry to hear you had such a nerve wracking situation during the listening. Someone whispering to me would throw me off my game, too. At least you were able to recompose yourself for the remaining sections.
robdrake

Post by robdrake »

i got a respond from the organisation about this incident and they have decided to void this matter.

as i quote from their response:
"Your complaint was sent to IELTS Australia head office for review and your complaint has been found to be unjustified. While acknowledging there are parts of the test outside our control, our test staff endeavour to make sure that the test runs as smoothly and efficiently as possible for all our candidates. As you mentioned in your complaint, our Invigilation staff immediately responded with a warning to the candidate involved in talking during the listening test. The Chief Invigilator also reported that a warning was issued regarding this candidate’s behaviour and that staff took reasonable action to stop the behaviour.

We apologise for any inconvenience you may have felt during the test, however, every action was taken in accordance with the IELTS rules and regulations which are there for both the protection of the test and of the candidates. Because of this, the conditions that you describe in your complaint do not constitute an impairment to your test."
as they themselves have admitted this incident has occurred, they are not taking the responsibility and feel it is not an impairment for the listening - i am astonished in their defence that it is "out of their control", and from this incident - they considered it is OK for candidates and invigilator to disrupt another candidate in the listening, irregardless of the form of the pestering / whispering and warning from invigilator part - while the tape is being played, because as i understand in their context - such disruptions should not not impair my ability to listen the tape.

what a money-mongering organisation this exams has become.

good riddance. now i am very certain that segment could make or break me on my listening score.
robdrake

Post by robdrake »

anyway, i have decided to book another ielts.

i will keep trying and hope for the best.
robdrake

Post by robdrake »

Great news!
In light of the additional details you have provided in your response email, your case was recommended to IELTS Australia for further review.
They have decided to give me two options

- 1 Free resit on all 4 modules, within the next 3 month
or
- Accept the results. no free resit.

Not sure what to make of as i think this has been an emotional roller coaster - but my confidence to the organisation has now restored