IELTS Questions

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
artha

IELTS Questions

Post by artha »

I took the test today. Here are some points from memory.

Writing Task 2 : In some countries it is illegal for companies to reject job applicants for their age. Is it positive or negative?

Writing Task 1 : It was a bar graph depicting three different methods of waste disposal during a 4 year period. The task was to select and report the main features and make comparisons if applicable.

Reading: No paragraph heading task (much to my surprise).
Passages on, Business & Marketing (socially conscious business) , Animal life (chimpanzee's cultural life), Psychology/body language (How people perceive different facial features)

Speaking Task 1 :
How important are birthdays to you?
Was birthday more fun when you were a child or is it now?
In your country which birthdays are generally considered as milestone birthdays? (Like 5th, 18th, or 50th birthday) Why?

Speaking Task 2 :
Describe your favourite season.
Speaking Task 3 :
Are there variations in climate in different parts of your country or is it similar all over the land?
Is there some advantage in living in a colder climate?
What do you think can be disadvantages of living in a colder climate?
Do you think people in your country is concerned about global warming ?

Listening: As usual but I think slightly more tricky than the ones you'll find in "Cambridge IELTS 8".
abcd_klm

Re: IELTS Questions

Post by abcd_klm »

Can this be the answer for the speaking Questions? Please comment:
Task 1
1.Birthday is not so important to me now.But it was very fascinating and exciting in my childhood.Birthday is no doubt a day of celebration and thanks giving. I do make it a point to thank God for the beautiful one more year I could spend on this earth due to his grace.But this is done even otherwise as a part of daily prayer.but if celebration is concerned, I don't like to celebrate birthday with lot of pomp and joy. I like to spend it with my family members.
2.Of course birthdays are and was a great fun in childhood then it is now.There was a lot of excitement involved in it,as birthday would follow presents, cakes, new clothes, and chocolates too. This would be one day when you would not get any scoldings for any wrong you do.One more most awaited moment could always be the celebration of birthdays in school where all the classmates would put you at the high place and make you the center of attraction.Lastly I feel it is your childhood where you really LIVE your birthdays.
3.Its Of course the 1st when you are still a baby, and the major birthday which is celebrated equivalent to a wedding is the 60th and 71th birthdays. It usually varies from place to place and region to region.Usually no body remembers the first birthdays, and it is also avoided by most families as the child is sometimes the only child and it is just one year old.While in some families child's birthday is a way of exposing the families economic status where there is competition between close family friends to celebrate it in high standard.Otherwise normally after a child it is the 60th and 71st /sometimes 75th birthday which gives real joy to all family members and also a day when we pay due respect to our parents for all the hardships they went through for bringing us up.
abcd_klm

Post by abcd_klm »

Task 2:
My favorite season is the winter season.In my country we have three seasons namely summer, rainy and winter. Winter generally falls between Nov to Jan.I like this season because it is very cold,chilly and energetic season of all.Also saying it scientifically it is one of the healthiest season too.I also like this season as one of my favorite festival ie diwali falls at the onset of winter season,it is also a time new year fills all the splendid moments of chill and happiness in everyone's life.I like this season of any other season because unlike summer it not very hot and dull climate and also it is not muddy out everywhere as in rainy season.I hate that type of climate.This season was also a time when we did not used to have any exams in the childhood.There was no tensions around and a truely relaxing atmosphere.Adding to it the nature is truly at its best!There are lot of blossoms in my native place which is also called a valley of flowers.Visiting this place is ravishing experience.
abcd_klm

Post by abcd_klm »

Task 3
1.Are there variations in climate in different parts of your country or is it similar all over the land?
Yes there are lot of variations seen in the type of climate in different parts of India.India is also a diverse country in itself as far as even climate is concerned.Some parts ie the southern part receives rainfall once and the north east part receive it twice in a year.Also in case of summer the severity is quite high in northern part while in southern part it is humid in nature.While the western India is a desert in itself. Also in winter the northern parts are more colder ie it snows in Kashmir than south is Average in its temperature recordings'.
2.Is there some advantage in living in a colder climate?
You cannot call it an advantage when you live in a cold country.Ever climatic conditions has its pros and cons.It is only matter of liking and adjustment which people bring about to survive.As it is truly said 'Survival of the fittest.'If you compare the advantages it is only that winters are more energetic and you can work in such conditions for long hours.Also in places where it is too hot,people nowadays do survive by putting their AC's on.So Every place has its advantages and human being as one of the intelligent animal always finds a way out from all situations.This type of climate also has a beauty of its own.
3.What do you think can be disadvantages of living in a colder climate?
I think very cold regions have difficulty in making technological advances. As if it snows clearing it to build in various places of work becomes difficult.While in hot regions it can be carried out in night.Also if it snows very often people have to wear heavy clothes and then leave the house.People will not be able to go out very often , and children will not be able to play out in the open.Life may become boring if places are filled with snow for long time.It would also become difficult for people to earn there living specially in developing countries.
4.Do you think people in your country is concerned about global warming ?
Yes this is not a question of one country or a problem which one country or few countries would be facing.This is a global problem and awareness among people is often made by newspaper, seminars and other mass media.When the earth hour is announced we find that in our country every one from all age groups respond to it and contribute in saving the world. The factors affecting global warming are known to people and nowadays the use of private vehicles are reducing in big cities at least. This can also be predicted for other cities in near future.The use of plastic is banned in many places.Tree plantation in city areas is also appreciable.It is that everyone are doing their bit to save the world from global warming.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi abcd,

Those responses look pretty good. Of course, the deciding factor is how well you deliver them as spoken language. Why don't you record an MP3 of yourself and post it to the speaking forum on this website?
Elia

Post by Elia »

Informative forum post! and Thanks for providing IELTS Question. I really need to know more about Best Coaching for IELTS, please suggest me something about it...