Ideal for band 8/9 essay ?

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
Dr.mishmesh

Ideal for band 8/9 essay ?

Post by Dr.mishmesh »

The AA or BB model
If you strongly agree, you could try this AA model
A. I agree because [one reason the idea is right]
A. I agree because [another reason the idea is right]
or of course if you disagree
B. I disagree because [one reason why the idea is wrong]
B. I disagree because [another reason why the idea is wrong]
If you choose this approach, make sure that you can write 2 complete paragraphs (with reasons and examples before you start). This approach sometimes goes wrong because the two reasons are too similar and the essay gets repetitive.
The AB model
If you strongly agree or disagree you can also try this approach when there are two options in the question.
A. Explain why the idea is right/wrong [reasons and examples]
B. Explain why the other option is worse/better [reasons and examples]
This is really just a variation of the AA model, but the difference is that you look at both sides of the argument.
The AB model – weakly agree/disagree
If you have a weaker opinion, then you really need to look at both sides of the argument and use this AB model.
A. Explain that there are some good points [reasons and examples]
B. Explain that there are some problems too [reasons and examples]
This approach can of course go wrong too – often because the point of view is unclear. To get it right make sure that your overall opinion is clear in the introduction and that you start each paragraph with a clear sentence making it obvious that you are either going to write about reasons why you agree or disagree.

Please tell me , which one is the best for scoring 8/9 ?
Should we stick to AB as I have heard you tend to score higher if you discuss both sides of the topic.
Please help ! Thanks