Some questions about Academic Writing Task 2

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Evgenii Rodin

Some questions about Academic Writing Task 2

Post by Evgenii Rodin »

Hello! I need 8.5 in writing. Please, clarify these issues:
1) Is it a must to use personal pronouns while stating my opinion? Will I get a lower score if I use learned phrases like that: 'It can reasonbly be argued that...?'
2) Will it be treated as misquoting if I change or shorten some of the idioms on purpose, for example: The fall of the oil prices broke the back of Russian economy' or 'The recent flood was the last drop for those living in Russia'?
3) In general, is it a must to write more colloquial essays, or should I stick to the style of scientific articles?
Cliff.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Some questions about Academic Writing Task 2

Post by Cliff.IELTS.Examiner »

Use of first person voice in part 2 is appropriate if the question calls for your opinion. Don't use phrases like "It can reasonably be argued that" because that is not stating your opinion. The examiner might judge that you have failed to address all the essential elements of the question and your TR will be restricted to 5.

Be careful with altering idioms. Your first example works well, but the second does not. Part 2 answers, especially in academic writing, should be formal. Idioms are OK, as long as they are formal idioms, like "break the back of the Russian economy" or "to be successful in advertising, you have to think outside the box". Generally you should use third person voice, and quite a few passive structures, where your personal opinion is not required. Things like "it is generally thought that education is an essential aspect of human rights" Use active voice where the identity of the source is clear, and important to the meaning. "Prime Minister Turnbull stated that education should only be for those who can afford it". Use passive where the object is more important. "The Admiral's flagship was sunk by a German U-boat", rather than "U.232 sunk the Admiral's flagship"

I hope this helps a little.
Evgenii Rodin

Re: Some questions about Academic Writing Task 2

Post by Evgenii Rodin »

Thank you very much!