PLEASE answer my "Writing task2" concerns

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
NancyHendy

PLEASE answer my "Writing task2" concerns

Post by NancyHendy »

First, in the introduction and conclusion;
-should we mention the titles of our essay ideas ( e.g. I agree that bla bla bla as this would improve our health and will positively affect our lives... )
or
-should we just write a broad outline sentence ( e.g. I believe bla bla bla, and I will explain why in this essay.)?

Second question, should we use a concession paragraph in agree/disagree essay ? ( briefly mention the opposite view and why u disagree with it)

Finally, which approach should we take in body paragraphs;
- only one main idea per paragraph and fully support it with reasons, explanations and/or examples.
Or
- 2/3 ideas per paragraph linked together with e.g. "Firstly, Secondly and Finally"?
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: PLEASE answer my "Writing task2" concerns

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello again, Nancy!

First question - both are fine.
Second question - I very strongly recommend this, but it is not absolutely necessary. This kind of paragraph is very useful because it points out that the problem/issue cannot be solved in a way that suits everyone all of the time.
Third question - I recommend the first method, but it really does depend on the question, so it's not always the best choice.
All the best,
David