Asking for a score re-mark: When is it worth it?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
willhunting

Asking for a score re-mark: When is it worth it?

Post by willhunting »

Hello all!

I took the test last month for the first time and my scores were:
Listening: 8.5
Reading: 8.0
Writing: 6.5
Speaking: 7.5
Overall: 7.5
I wonder if it is worth requesting for a re-mark of the writing section, as I am looking for a band 7. I googled around and I found that if there is a 2 band difference between the scores of 2 different sections of the test (e.g.: listening: 8.5 and writing: 6.5), the test is automatically re-evaluated by someone else. Is that true? What are my odds of improving my score?

Regarding my opinion about my performance in the writing section, I am sure I reached the minimum threshold of words for both tasks, although I am not so confident about the arguments I used, as I did not had better ideas about what to write about the given subject on task 2.

I would love to hear your opinions.
Thanks in advance.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Asking for a score re-mark: When is it worth it?

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!
If you don't think that your ideas were so good, I'd suggest re-taking the test rather than getting a re-mark.
David
20kris05

Re: Asking for a score re-mark: When is it worth it?

Post by 20kris05 »

Hi Ryan,

I just received my ielts score today...

L-7.5
R -9
W-6.5
S-7

I am fed up with ielts as i have taken for the third time and every time , I get a band of 0.5 less than required which is 7. last time it was speaking 6.5 and writing 7.0. I am planning for remarking. My question for you is that " i heard that if there is 2 band difference between speaking and writing, then results are automatically checked" is this only for speaking and writing difference or a 2 band difference between any two of them? I would be thankful to you if you clarified this as I am planning on going for : EOR" Please give me your input.

Thanks
Kris