Please....Need help on speaking section

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Rahul P

Please....Need help on speaking section

Post by Rahul P »

I have a question regarding speaking section.
I have a stammering problem. Will it affect my speaking score? How should I go with it in my test?
Should I directly tell the examiner about it before commencing the test?
Will it affect my fluency and pronunciation scoring?

My exam is scheduled on 21 Nov in Canberra, Australia.

Thank You
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Please....Need help on speaking section

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello Rahul,
If you have a stammer, you should declare it when you submit your test application. This applies for all conditions that might affect a score in any of the 4 modules. If you only declare it on the test day, the examiner is not permitted to allow you any special treatment, even though the examiner will know that it detrimentally affects your score. Therefore, it will clearly affect your fluency and almost certainly your pronunciation.
All the best,
David
Rahul P

Post by Rahul P »

Thank you for your reply and information.
Since I have already book my test without declaring my stammering (stuttering) problem then what should I do now?
Also when declaring anything like this, requires any medical certificate in IELTS? I do not have one, as it is inborn and does not count in physical or any other type of disability as per my understanding.
Please suggest
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Hi Rahul,
I'm not sure what kind of documentation is required. The official IELTS website simply says that you must inform your test centre when you register for the test, so I would contact them asap. As examiners, we are not permitted to give candidates with undeclared medical/physical issues any different treatment to other candidates.
Go to or contact the centre on Monday morning!
All the best and let us know how things go,
David
Rahul P

Post by Rahul P »

I received following replies from IELTS service officer:

''Dear Candidate,
We will let your speaking examiner know about your condition and your examiner will wait for you to finish completing what you say without time limit during the test. The examiner will assess with the same criteria with all candidates accordingly.''

Dear Rahul,
We can see your concern. We have a strict guideline applies to all speaking examiner and would not affect on your score regardless. Your speaking examiner will be informed about your situation before the test.

I suppose, now they are well aware of my situation and shall act accordingly.
What do you think on this?
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Hi Rahul,
Well, there WILL be a time limit, but probably they will not be so strict if you exceed it a little. The main effects will be to allow you time to get more vocabulary and grammar into your answers. I would advise you to practice making points clearly, so that the influence of your stammer is reduced.
Good luck!
David
Rahul P

Post by Rahul P »

Yes David, I am on to it and thank you very much for all your guidance and support.
Thank you again.
Best Regards, Rahul.