Listening

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
possumaus

Listening

Post by possumaus »

I have been trying to get an 8 for Listening. What is the best way to prepare for Listening?
I somehow only end up with a 7.5 with practices and I need an 8. I am retaking IELTS on 31 Oct and want to improve on my score. Any suggestions?
Teacher

Re: Listening

Post by Teacher »

Dear Possumaus
How do you practise for listening? Predicting answers and being really familiar with the types of questions IELTS uses is important. You have to listen rather than hear, and understand that several possible (near) answers will be on the recording, though only one will be correct. Listen to as much English as you can - and make sure you transfer answers correctly, spell words correctly, write in the word limit and check capitals.
There is some listening practice here: http://www.ieltsexchange.com/#!resources/d1wm2 and examples of question types a few tabs along. Is there any particular thing you find difficult in listening? On practice tests, have you analysed where you got answers wrong? is it because you missed them (didn't hear) or wrote them down wrong, for example?
Kind regards
Teacher Jill